Custom FRAM71 Bezels
07-11-2015, 09:33 PM
RE: Custom FRAM71 Bezels
(07-11-2015 07:57 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The plan is to make "OD Modules"

Sorry, OD Modules?

Quote:3D-printing housings would be much easier than cutting them open as I have been. I would then offer the OD Modules to FRAM71 owners, to support the community. Smile I think red would be cool, especially with some raised lettering or maybe the clear acrylic like you have.

She agreed to try to make them. She'll send out samples with a few different materials. Because 71B modules are so hard to remove (I have to use a flat head to get mine to budge the first 1MM) I'm concerned that some materials will break.

Quote:If you get the bezel made in clear acrylic, please put me down for one. Smile What other letter colors would look good, maybe gold?

No prob.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2015, 10:04 PM
(07-11-2015 09:33 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 07:57 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  The plan is to make "OD Modules"
Sorry, OD Modules?

In order to use the SYSRAM feature in FRAM71 it's necessary to short the OD signal present either in Port 1 or internal to the 71B. Hans has pictures of a hand-built module in the FRAM71 manual and I've modified a number of modules by cutting them open, which is a pain. Nice new housings to work with would be well worth the effort.

(07-11-2015 09:33 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  She agreed to try to make them. She'll send out samples with a few different materials. Because 71B modules are so hard to remove (I have to use a flat head to get mine to budge the first 1MM) I'm concerned that some materials will break.

Hans advised me to measure several modules and mainframe housings, as they've experienced "shrinkage" over the years, and tweak the dimensions accordingly. That would explain why many modules have become tight, but not all of them. I can send you loaner modules to measure if you like. I think I can fix my vintage modules by finely sanding them.

(07-11-2015 09:33 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 07:57 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  If you get the bezel made in clear acrylic, please put me down for one. Smile What other letter colors would look good, maybe gold?
No prob.

Thanks. Smile

Dave
07-12-2015, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 01:20 AM by rprosperi.)
E.g. my Father's day present:

[Image: IMG_6601.JPG]

NICE!! VERY NICE!!

Is she an Alien fan, or are you?

Giger himself would have loved to see this unique gift.

Please keep me on any list for the modules as well.

My compliments to your daughter!!

--Bob Prosperi
09-05-2015, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 07:24 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Transparent acrylic bezel
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GPxmp...sp=sharing

Front-port module for SYSRAM feature
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...URSREo2Q0U

Module wiring

Acrylic bezel with LED ON

Dave

EDIT: Updated models and images.
09-05-2015, 01:28 PM
(09-05-2015 01:51 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Transparent acrylic bezel
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...mRYTkZSd0U

Front-port module for SYSRAM feature
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...URSREo2Q0U

Module wiring
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...kxfQURKRkk

Acrylic bezel with LED ON
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...GExeDl0Z0E

Dave

Nice Photos! Thanks for sharing Dave.

For the FRAM71 OD Module (photo 3), what gauge wiring did you use, and how the heck did you fish it through the holes to align with the proper pins on the Port-1 connector?

How do you prevent the 2 ends of the wire from catching on the connector edge when inserting?

--Bob Prosperi
09-05-2015, 02:29 PM
(09-05-2015 01:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  [For the FRAM71 OD Module (photo 3), what gauge wiring did you use, and how the heck did you fish it through the holes to align with the proper pins on the Port-1 connector?

How do you prevent the 2 ends of the wire from catching on the connector edge when inserting?

24 AWG solid wire was used. Fishing it through the holes was rather tricky, which led me to a modification. I drilled the bottom two holes all the way through to the top of the housing. This allowed me to thread the wire from the top, through the first "contact", loop the wire back through the second contact, and back out the top. I could then pull the wire from the top to "snug it up" rather than trying to push it into the bottom holes from the bottom side of the housing. Then I just clipped the wires off with flush-cutting pliers.

Dave
09-05-2015, 11:59 PM
(09-05-2015 02:29 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  24 AWG solid wire was used. Fishing it through the holes was rather tricky, which led me to a modification. I drilled the bottom two holes all the way through to the top of the housing. This allowed me to thread the wire from the top, through the first "contact", loop the wire back through the second contact, and back out the top. I could then pull the wire from the top to "snug it up" rather than trying to push it into the bottom holes from the bottom side of the housing. Then I just clipped the wires off with flush-cutting pliers.

Dave

Very nice solution. By zooming in on the photo, I can now see how the wire penetrates thru to the top (into the page on the photo). Also, this prevents the problem I was asking about; since the there are no loose wire "ends" to catch on, there should be no chance of getting caught on the edge of the board when inserting the OD module into Port-1.

--Bob Prosperi
09-06-2015, 03:18 PM
I've suggested some modifications to make it easier to thread the wire and designated the Shapeways models as Beta. Prospective buyers might want to wait a while.

I sanded and polished the back side of the clear acrylic bezel. There are still inclusions in the upper third, but the clarity is much better. YMMV. I'd like to modify the model to remove the hole and make the bezel thinner and more transparent.

Dave
09-11-2015, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 01:01 AM by cruff.)
SYSRAM module fit issue
(09-05-2015 02:29 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  24 AWG solid wire was used.

I received my OD module today from Shapeways and it fits very loosely using what was labeled 24 AWG (but seemed to be closer to 26 according to my wire strippers), trying 22 AWG improved the fit a bit.

EDIT: I thought that my module was functioning to assert OD, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I expected that plugging it into a 71B without a FRAM71 would result in the 71B failing to startup as no ROMs would be providing code to execute, but the unit comes up normally. Plugging it into slot 4 results in the assertion of the HALT signal, which does keep the 71B from starting up.
09-15-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 04:12 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Updated models are now available at Shapeways. There is now a clear acrylic FRAM71 bezel without the LED hole and the option to customize it by engraving some text, like your initials. I've also modified Nate's front-port housing to make it easier to thread the wire.

Dave

EDIT: I measured the distance from the top of the front-port opening to the top of the PCB where the wires make contact to be 0.21". So the wires should be arched so that the thickness of the "shelf" and the wires is a little over 0.21". YMMV so measure your 71 and adjust the arch height accordingly.
09-16-2015, 02:19 AM
RE: SYSRAM module fit issue
I did some further testing tonight, by forming the wires into small arches, I was able to get the module to function properly. It also felt more securely held in place.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)