[BUG] Integer manipulation tool broken in newer (v5447) Firmware?
01-19-2014, 02:07 PM
[BUG] Integer manipulation tool broken in newer (v5447) Firmware?
I just noticed that the "Integer manipulation", as it is described under "help->Integer Arithmetic -> Manipulate Integers" does not work. I have the newer "2013 11 25 (5447)" FW on the calc, and I am pretty sure that it worked in the older Firmware. Yesterday I wanted to convert a number to a different base and I could not figure out how.
I also noticed that the description in the help menu is wrong. In step 2 it says "Press Shift 3 (Base)", although "Shift 3" produces Pi. The "Base" function is mapped to "Shift Minus". However pressing "Shift Minus" just produces a "#" (which normally is on "Alpha 3").

Did anybody else notice this? And is there any other possibility to convert bases for numbers?

This calc is really annoying! :-(
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2014, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2014 04:16 PM by Tugdual.)
RE: [BUG] Integer manipulation tool broken in newer (v5447) Firmware?
Indeed, I already reported that this was a bit chaotic.
First note that the base won't be the same in between standard and CAS operations.

In Home mode:
Base will work providing that Ans is a #base value.
It is even a pain because you cannot enter any further #value until Ans is cleared.
Example:
1. Shift Clear
2. Enter #11b (Shift - 1 1 Shit Alpha Toolbox)
3. Enter
4. Press Shift - again and the base screen will popup

Problem is that if you now want to enter another value you can't because you will keep calling the same popup until you actually clear Ans

In CAS mode:
In CAS, the use of base seems very limited. I don't even understand why there is a default integer format. When I enter #10 with default being Hex, it doesn't translate to 16 so this doesn't work. Anything I enter is immediately translated in base 10 and that is all.

In conclusion, the base feature is pretty unpractical and I really don't understand how one is supposed to do arithmetic with different bases.
01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
(01-19-2014 02:07 PM)Stefan Wrote:  I just noticed that the "Integer manipulation", as it is described under "help->Integer Arithmetic -> Manipulate Integers" does not work. ... Yesterday I wanted to convert a number to a different base and I could not figure out how. ... Is there any other possibility to convert bases for numbers? This calc is really annoying! :-(

Please note that Shift Minus only launches "Edit Integer" if there is an integer already on the stack (on the bottom level or on the selected level). Just being a whole number is not sufficient; it must have a "#" in front of it. Otherwise, as you noticed, pressing Shift Minus only types a "#".

Once the integer editor is running, you have many options for changing the base. It only takes a few keystrokes from start to finish.

Suggestion: create key assignments which instantly perform your favorite base conversions, using the programmable system variables Base, Bits, and Signed. That way, rather than being annoyed, you can make your Prime act exactly the way you want it to act.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Ok, thanks to the help of both of you I got it working now. My errors where that
1. I thought that the Prime would automatically convert the number to an integer as soon as I would press the button for the integer manipulation tool
2. I was in the CAS environment. (Although I don't see a reason why the tool should not work in the CAS envoronment.)

Thank you.
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
(01-22-2014 09:04 AM)Stefan Wrote:  2. I was in the CAS environment. (Although I don't see a reason why the tool should not work in the CAS envoronment.)
This is why your thread is rightly prefixed.
01-22-2014, 03:50 PM
How would one distiguish between infinite precision integers, fixed precisions integers, and reals with no decimal places?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-22-2014, 07:23 PM
(01-19-2014 04:15 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  In Home mode:
It is even a pain because you cannot enter any further #value until Ans is cleared.
Example:
1. Shift Clear
3. Enter

Problem is that if you now want to enter another value you can't because you will keep calling the same popup until you actually clear Ans

Not sure if this was addressed, but if you already have an integer on the stack, and you want to create another one, you can just type [Alpha][3] for the # symbol to start a new integer.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
(01-19-2014 04:15 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  In Home mode:
Example:
1. Shift Clear
3. Enter

You should try Shift 3 for the #, it may solve your problem of input multiple integers.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)