Problem Loading AMC OS/X on the 41CL
09-08-2015, 02:12 AM
Problem Loading AMC OS/X on the 41CL
Any owners of the 41CL v4 having a problem loading (plugging) the AMC OS/X?

I've tried it several times, but it's loading something called CCD_OSX, which I believe is a separate module altogether. The current 41CL manual says the mnemonic is AOSX, but using that the CAT 2 function shows CCD_OSX which has a mnemonic of CCDX. Maybe I'll try loading CCDX and see what happens...

I just got the 41CL and I'm not up to speed with the image database system as of yet, so I was wondering if this was a known problem. There are some really nice functions in the AMC ROM, catalogs in particular, that I like to use.

Many thanks -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 02:34 AM
RE: Problem Loading AMC OS/X on the 41CL
(09-08-2015 02:12 AM)MaxQ Wrote:  Any owners of the 41CL v4 having a problem loading (plugging) the AMC OS/X?

I've tried it several times, but it's loading something called CCD_OSX, which I believe is a separate module altogether. The current 41CL manual says the mnemonic is AOSX, but using that the CAT 2 function shows CCD_OSX which has a mnemonic of CCDX. Maybe I'll try loading CCDX and see what happens...

I just got the 41CL and I'm not up to speed with the image database system as of yet, so I was wondering if this was a known problem. There are some really nice functions in the AMC ROM, catalogs in particular, that I like to use.

Many thanks -

There are multiple versions of the CCD-OSX ROMs in the CL. Older one(s) are standalone, while the newer version (recommended) requires that you also load LIBRARY4, a common set of routines which many of Angel's ROMs are built upon. I strongly recommend the latter - install the "4LIB" and "4AOS" ID's. Also, be sure to look on TOS for Angel's Manuals - you will find these manuals are as much works of art as the software they describe. Both are a real pleasure to use.

--Bob Prosperi
09-08-2015, 02:49 AM
(09-08-2015 02:12 AM)MaxQ Wrote:  Any owners of the 41CL v4 having a problem loading (plugging) the AMC OS/X?

Many thanks -

The CL memory reference document includes all mnemonics and locations in Flash, and is available at the systemyde web site:

http://systemyde.com/hp41/manuals.html

"AOSX" is an earlier version, but the CAT'2 is correctly showing as CCD OS/X; so it's probably working correctly. - Module mnemonics don't have to be the same as the actual module headers in CAT'2.

My recommendation would be to use the library4 version of this module (and others too). For that you'll need to plug the "4LIB" module in page 4, and the "OSX3" module in any other page from 6 to F. Typically page#6 is a good location unless of course you're using the HP-IL.

Regardless, If you suspect some mismatch between modules in your flash map you can try plugging them using the physical addresses instead of their mnemonics, then check what has been mapped. Be aware that 8k (and larger) modules will need this on a per-page basis, i.e. each 4k block needs to be mapped separately.

Hope this helps, there's so much stuff on the CL board that you really need a map but the rewards are endless...

'AM
09-08-2015, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 02:58 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(09-08-2015 02:34 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  There are multiple versions of the CCD-OSX ROMs in the CL. Older one(s) are standalone, while the newer version (recommended) requires that you also load LIBRARY4, a common set of routines which many of Angel's ROMs are built upon. I strongly recommend the latter - install the "4LIB" and "4AOS" ID's. Also, be sure to look on TOS for Angel's Manuals - you will find these manuals are as much works of art as the software they describe. Both are a real pleasure to use.

Manual is posted at:

http://systemyde.com/pdf/AMMC_OSX_Manual.pdf,

and:

http://hp41.claughan.com/file/AMMC_OSX%20Manual.pdf

Thanks Bob for the endorsement - Maybe not works of art but a lot of dedication went into them ;-)
09-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Angel, Bob - Many thanks! The code has been cracked!

First, thanks for the documentation suggestions - I've been looking them over for a couple of weeks now. What I need is a "Rosetta Stone" to tell me what all these modules are and what they are for!

The module "4AOS" in the module list shows a nomenclature of "Library 4 - AMC OSX ROM."

When I looked at the list of modules and saw the "Library 4..." descriptions, I thought all those were special versions of Lib4 to be used with AMC OSX or the other named modules, not the other way around. Too funny...

So, I'll "poke" Library 4 version "4LIB" into the MMU's page 4 register, and then PLUG the "OSX3" version of the AMC_OSX module into a port/page somewhere. Got it!

BTW - Angel, allow me to echo what Bob said about your documentation. As a former electronics/software control systems guy (BSEE) I would like to say your documentation is top-notch, to be sure. Thanks for your efforts!
09-09-2015, 03:21 PM
(09-08-2015 12:39 PM)MaxQ Wrote:  So, I'll "poke" Library 4 version "4LIB" into the MMU's page 4 register, and then PLUG the "OSX3" version of the AMC_OSX module into a port/page somewhere. Got it!

That's the way to go, should work just fine as you describe it.

"OSX3" is the latest version of a series of modules that started with the CCD_OSX, then AMC_OSX, then lib#4 versions of those, then OSX/2, then OS/X3.... you catch the drift.

The best decoder ring (or Rossetta stone) is the CL_Memory Reference. I think Monte's updated it recently removing some superceded modules off the list, so yes it was even worse before!

Çheers,
ÁM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)