News from Swissmicros!
11-11-2015, 04:27 PM
RE: News from Swissmicros!
(11-11-2015 04:02 PM)Marcio Wrote:  How do you like the keyboard?

I just works. Still stiffer than the original but way better than anything from the DM series so far.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2015, 05:30 PM
(11-11-2015 04:27 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  ... way better than anything from the DM series so far.

That was easy to achieve. Wink Though would you assess it being something one could build a 43S keyboard on?

d:-?
11-11-2015, 05:45 PM
(11-11-2015 05:30 PM)walter b Wrote:  Though would you assess it being something one could build a 43S keyboard on?

If we are talking about the keyboard mechanics I'd say yes.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
11-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Got my replacement board, too. The keyboard has improved a lot. However, one single key has quite a different feeling than all the others (needs much more pressure) and makes a loud clicking noise. Strange, I will check with Michael.
11-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Does your assessment cover the electromechanics as well?

d:-?
11-13-2015, 12:16 AM
(11-12-2015 10:39 PM)walter b Wrote:  Does your assessment cover the electromechanics as well?

I haven't played enough with the calculator for a more detailed assessment. You can try my specimen for a while if you like.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
11-13-2015, 06:04 AM
Thousand thanks! Smile Smile Smile ... Wann immer du ihn entbehren kannst - wir haben einen soliden Briefkasten. Persönliche Rückgabe garantiert!

d:-)
11-13-2015, 08:10 PM
(11-13-2015 06:04 AM)walter b Wrote:  Thousand thanks! Smile Smile Smile ... Wann immer du ihn entbehren kannst - wir haben einen soliden Briefkasten. Persönliche Rückgabe garantiert!

You'll probably not believe how Google Translate mushed that particular sentence up. My German's practically non-existent, but even I can tell that:

Quote:Whenever you can do without him - we have a solid letterbox. Personal Return Guaranteed!

is possibly awry somewhere.

(Post 47)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2015, 10:50 PM
I received mine today. I pushed the metal dome buttons and it seems a lot better now.
But unfortunately the DM15 is at work and I will have to wait until Monday before I can install the new PCB. :-(
11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Well, for a good translation, sometimes you've to know slightly more than Google Translate knows Wink

d;-)
11-16-2015, 01:33 PM
(11-13-2015 10:50 PM)Harald Wrote:  I received mine today. I pushed the metal dome buttons and it seems a lot better now.
But unfortunately the DM15 is at work and I will have to wait until Monday before I can install the new PCB. :-(

It is Monday, I am back at work and have used my lunchbreak to install the new PCB.

This is a significant improvement! (Although in my opinion still not quite as good as the original 15C.)
But I have to say I am happy with the keyboard now. Well, at least theoretically - my specimen seams to have some contamination under the "3" and the "0" dome. At first I had to press them fairly hard to get the key to register. This has improved with a little use, but I'll have to wait and see if the problem disappears completly.

Thanks for shipping the updated PCB! Customer support like that is quite rare these days!
11-17-2015, 03:05 AM
I received my replacement DM-15L board on Saturday (in NY, USA). Although there were no instructions included, the procedure is incredibly simple (as detailed above) and took literally less than 2 minutes.

I never played with the original keyboard so I can't compare the original to the replacement, however I can say that the replacement board feels very good, with clear, distinct clicks (both audible and feel). In over 30 mins of crunching, I've had no missed keys or multiple characters. The only "odd" thing is that some keys sound slightly different than others, however this is true on original Voyagers (and indeed all models), so this too is authentic.

Nice job Michael and Swiss Micros!! Very commendable to recognize and acknowledge the problem and issue replacement parts so promptly, making it easy for us early adopters. Great customer service, you have a customer for life.

Now I need to check the street price on eBay for my "Vintage V1 DM-15L main board"....

--Bob Prosperi
11-17-2015, 09:44 AM
(11-16-2015 01:33 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 10:50 PM)Harald Wrote:  I received mine today. I pushed the metal dome buttons and it seems a lot better now.

It is Monday, I am back at work and have used my lunchbreak to install the new PCB.

This is a significant improvement! (Although in my opinion still not quite as good as the original 15C.)
But I have to say I am happy with the keyboard now. Well, at least theoretically - my specimen seams to have some contamination under the "3" and the "0" dome. At first I had to press them fairly hard to get the key to register. This has improved with a little use, but I'll have to wait and see if the problem disappears completly.

Thanks for shipping the updated PCB! Customer support like that is quite rare these days!

Received my new PCB this weekend and installed it yesterday: really an improvement. The click sound is just loud as it should be, the keyboard is smoother and no missed keys.
It's not the original voyager series, but it is the closest thing you can imagine from it now and definitely a very acceptable replacement for an old 15C. Great job!

Just one small issue: one screw of the case is turning loose...and when bringing back the calc to work this morning, I found that I lost it. Not a very big deal but if guys from swiss micro are reading me: have a check on the upper right screws (the one opposite the DM15L engravament).
11-17-2015, 12:37 PM
(11-16-2015 01:33 PM)Harald Wrote:  

Ok, another update. The "0" problem resolved itself after pressing the button a couple of times. The "3" problem remained. I contacted Michael and got the go ahead from him to peal off the foil and stick it back on. So I did, cleaned the contact surface and now I have a perfectly working DM15L.

Thanks a lot for this brilliant calculator SwissMicros!
11-18-2015, 04:27 AM
I noticed this article on SwissMicros, which included an interesting quote:

Quote:Getting into the Freemasons is a cakewalk compared to mastering the 12C. I have seen the manual quoted, with page and paragraph numbers, in international loan agreement documents with values running into the hundreds of millions of (mid-1980s!) pounds. I’ll explain exactly why that was the case a little later.
11-18-2015, 05:25 AM
That was a great article Bob. Thanks for the link.
11-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Thank you Bob, a nice article and a recognition of Michael's labour of love.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Nice article, enjoyed reading it and is now printed to be read again during breakfast this morning!
11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
1+

11-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Interesting hints in the article about the code/ intellectual property. "Can I copy something you made 30 years ago?" But also currently made- 12C- & recently made- 15CLE.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)