You've Got Mail.........DM42L
09-03-2016, 10:02 PM
RE: You've Got Mail.........DM42L
Hi, I crafted the layout below, and I am naturally interested in the DM42L.

For me the DM42P is slightly too large, and I find the landscape layout to be more pleasing on the eye. I hope the final key layout will be more like this (with some minor changes, e.g rotate up/down swapped), because the youtube demo layout was not good.

But it seems like a lot of effort is going into the DM42P atm. Will the DM42L really be released at all? And if so, anyone knows which one will be available first?

[Image: a0nhbc]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2016, 10:20 PM
(09-03-2016 10:02 PM)tycho Wrote:  I find the landscape layout to be more pleasing on the eye.
Same here, I prefer the horizontal design.
Coupled with a backlit screen and keys, that would be ideal, in my view.
09-04-2016, 12:13 AM
(09-03-2016 10:02 PM)tycho Wrote:  But it seems like a lot of effort is going into the DM42P atm. Will the DM42L really be released at all? And if so, anyone knows which one will be available first?

I hope not. Or, at least, later on.
Team resources are counted and shouldn't be wasted: the new (portrait) hardware platform is vastly superior as far as keyboard, screen and (if I am not wrong) CPU and memory are concerned.

Personally I dislike landscape format, but this doesn't matter: I think they should focus on their new platform and deliver a working model ASAP.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2016, 12:17 AM
(09-03-2016 10:02 PM)tycho Wrote:  Hi, I crafted the layout below, and I am naturally interested in the DM42L.

Thanks for making and sharing this. I found the pair (Horizontal and Portrait) in a collection of skins on Thomas's website and use these skins daily. I'd very much like to try this layout on a real horizontal keyboard, so I'm also hoping the DM42L will be a reality. It's natural that there is more interest in the DM-42P, being a direct 42S replacement; I'd guess SM would release that first.

We should all know soon, HHC is only 2 weeks away.

--Bob Prosperi
09-04-2016, 11:15 AM
(09-04-2016 12:17 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thanks for making and sharing this. I found the pair (Horizontal and Portrait) in a collection of skins on Thomas's website and use these skins daily.
You're welcome and thanks for responses. Btw, I made the display area work as SHIFT button, and the area to the right EXIT if you didn't know (pressing the menu items in the display still works). Small advantages with the emulator. Anyway, this is exciting times for HP-42S fans.
09-04-2016, 07:51 PM
(09-04-2016 11:15 AM)tycho Wrote:  Btw, I made the display area work as SHIFT button, and the area to the right EXIT if you didn't know (pressing the menu items in the display still works). Small advantages with the emulator. Anyway, this is exciting times for HP-42S fans.

I had not discovered the SHIFT by touching the screen, thanks for the tip; much handier than reaching for the smaller shift key. On my machine (Moto Z Force with Android 6.0) I cannot find any area that exits the app, but touching the right border of the LCD window (in both L & P orientations) brings up the app menu. Is this what you meant?

--Bob Prosperi
09-05-2016, 01:40 PM
(09-04-2016 07:51 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I cannot find any area that exits the app, but touching the right border of the LCD window (in both L & P orientations) brings up the app menu. Is this what you meant?
Ha. No, I meant pressing area next to the display works as pressing the EXIT button. I regularly use that instead of ENTER.

About DM42, Michael Steinmann wrote on youtube about 2 weeks ago:
Quote:both hardware and software development takes longer than expected. Change 'this summer' to 'this year' and keep your fingers crossed.
That's actually fine by me. Especially if that also helps improving the hardware / design further.
09-05-2016, 06:21 PM
(09-05-2016 01:40 PM)tycho Wrote:  pressing area next to the display works as pressing the EXIT button. I regularly use that instead of ENTER.

Ah... the HP-42 EXIT button. Yup, use that much more often than leaving the app; good choice, just not obvious when testing it.

I agree, SM should take longer if needed to make it right. While eager to get our grubby hands on a DM42P (or DM42L) this crowd will be merciless if there are significant bugs. And if the shift button is not yellow/gold.

There have been (and I suppose always will be) folks that post "I'll never buy here again" when encountering issues that may or may not even be true problems. Every HP machine ever made has bugs we've discovered, and it generally has not slowed our appetite for more. I prefer to encourage SM to make more...

[Stepping down off the soap box]

--Bob Prosperi
09-07-2016, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 08:44 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
You are absolutely right, Bob. As a user/customer is easy to fall into an OCD hole, when searching for a '6E6 sigma perfection' in our purchases.
Fortunately Swiss engineers are famous for being quite OCD ;O) in terms of meticulousness, not to mention SM's post-sales service, that seems second-to-none according to some posts in this forum.

[EDIT: it was a pretty touching speech, with plenty of body language helping those of us who are non-native English speakers. Bob, you should write "Donations are gladly accepted via Paypal" on your soap box next time ;O) Have a nice HHC next week ]

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
10-16-2016, 10:08 AM
(09-04-2016 12:13 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Personally I dislike landscape format, but this doesn't matter: I think they should focus on their new platform and deliver a working model ASAP.

I also think that the portrait version opens options for other models, such as the 48,

48SX; 42S; 15C; DM-15; DM-41; my public HP links
10-16-2016, 09:28 PM
The portrait platform with it's extra row of keys sure opens up some possibilities, but there is still a full row of keys less than on the 48. Nevertheless I'm currently entertaining my mind with cooking up a layout for running newRPL with this small keyboard. If it ends up possible, it will be sweet Smile
11-05-2016, 10:40 PM
(10-16-2016 09:28 PM)LinusSch Wrote:  The portrait platform with it's extra row of keys sure opens up some possibilities, but there is still a full row of keys less than on the 48. Nevertheless I'm currently entertaining my mind with cooking up a layout for running newRPL with this small keyboard. If it ends up possible, it will be sweet Smile

Is there anything you can share?
11-06-2016, 11:13 PM
Will share soon. However, my sense of time is quite bad, whereby "soon" sometimes end up as a few weeks. Hoping not.

Trouble is, it proved to require some UI additions, so it needs a lot of thought. I don't want to scare people by showing something that has too little hope of 1) work well for the user or 2) be a reasonable thing to develop. And I'm not so sure on either of those counts just yet.
11-19-2016, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:58 PM by d b.)
(09-07-2016 08:32 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  As a user/customer is easy to fall into an OCD hole, when searching for a '6E6 sigma perfection' in our purchases.
Fortunately Swiss engineers are famous for being quite OCD ;O) in terms of meticulousness, not to mention SM's post-sales service, that seems second-to-none according to some posts in this forum.
<<<<MODERATOR (Den Belillo) NOTE: HAL_2001 is vacationed for being one of walter bonin's seven (or more?) extra fake accounts here. The worst are simply deleted. END NOTE>>>>

What do you mean by OCD? I find no clue.
<<<<MODERATOR (Den Belillo) NOTE: Well walter, an example of OCD is being the only one having 8 accounts when one each is enough for 5,600 other people. END NOTE>>>>
11-19-2016, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:41 PM by d b.)
(09-03-2016 10:02 PM)tycho Wrote:  For me the DM42P is slightly too large
<<<<MODERATOR (Den Belillo) NOTE: HAL_2001 is vacationed for being one of walter bonin's seven (or more?) extra fake accounts here. The worst are simply deleted. END NOTE>>>>
It's slightly smaller than the HP42S, as far as I know.
11-19-2016, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 08:14 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
(11-19-2016 06:46 PM)HAL_2001 Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 08:32 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  As a user/customer is easy to fall into an OCD hole, when searching for a '6E6 sigma perfection' in our purchases.
What do you mean by OCD? I find no clue.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
11-19-2016, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:41 PM by d b.)
(11-19-2016 08:13 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  
(11-19-2016 06:46 PM)HAL_2001 Wrote:  What do you mean by OCD? I find no clue.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Grazie mille!
11-19-2016, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 06:18 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
(09-03-2016 10:02 PM)tycho Wrote:  Hi, I crafted the layout below, and I am naturally interested in the DM42L.
[Image: a0nhbc]

... I have just installed your Android apk version of Free42 in my Motorola G3. Your landscape skin is really superb, a joy to the eyes! 8^)

[20161201 - EDIT ] I bought a Kindle Fire 7" tablet last Black Friday just to install your Free42 version. Even my 7-years-old daughter says she loves this skin. She has started playing with RPN O:) Thanks for sharing!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
11-20-2016, 02:08 AM
1+

Cheers

Hoping there are some landscape DM42L, Regards
11-21-2016, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:31 PM by d b.)
Do you really want to see that L vs. P discussion once again?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)