File Sharing in Prime iOS App 1.1 ?
02-24-2016, 09:12 AM
File Sharing in Prime iOS App 1.1 ?
In the latest version, 1.1.3, of the Prime App for iOS, File Sharing seems to have been enabled.

At least I can to transfer files to/from the HP Prime App using the "File Sharing" panel in iTunes on my Mac.

But I can't find anywhere in the App where I can access these files...

They don't appear under "Program" nor under "Notes", and I can neither find anything in the right-swipe App menu.

Have I missed some option, or is this feature not yet fully implemented?

/Lennart Börjeson
Stockholm, Sweden
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: File Sharing in Prime iOS App 1.1 ?
There is no file sharing at this time. The most likely depend on the connectivity kit and not anything in itunes. My guess is the reason you are probably seeing that is because one of the issues that was corrected (due to complaints from apple) was that the downloadable pdf files needed to be flagged as "do not upload to icloud".

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-24-2016, 03:09 PM
(02-24-2016 02:57 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  ... The most likely depend on the connectivity kit and not anything in iTunes. ...

I'm on Mac and can't use the Connectivity Kit, so I was really hoping that File Sharing would enable me to at least communicate with the Prime App...

The File Sharing initially shows up empty, but apparently accepts anything I store from iTune. I suppose the files get stored somewhere in the App file space.

I don't see the documentation in the File Sharing.

(BTW, thanks for including the documentation in the App.)

/Lennart Börjeson
Stockholm, Sweden
02-24-2016, 03:59 PM
(02-24-2016 02:57 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There is no file sharing at this time. The most likely depend on the connectivity kit and not anything in itunes.

Tim, this is really annoying for Mac users. I was confident that with the first update there should be a proper file sharing since this is really a key feature for such a great calculator App and I don't understand what's the problem with that ... really disappointing, especially since there is neither a ConKit for OS X
02-24-2016, 05:50 PM
(02-24-2016 03:59 PM)Maro Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 02:57 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There is no file sharing at this time. The most likely depend on the connectivity kit and not anything in itunes.

Tim, this is really annoying for Mac users. I was confident that with the first update there should be a proper file sharing since this is really a key feature for such a great calculator App and I don't understand what's the problem with that ... really disappointing, especially since there is neither a ConKit for OS X

HP sells Windows PC's.
Schools represent a significant market for HP.
Students use calculators (and there are a lot of students).
Making the HP calculators use Windows might increase the sales of HP PC's.

This is how some people in Marketing think. (like nicotine in cigarettes, sugar in cereal . . . Not evil, just business.) Engineers don't think that way from my experience.

Let's hope that the engineers win this time and we see a move to Mac OS compatibility and a removal of the constraints on I/O and file transfers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2016, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 08:24 PM by chromos.)
(02-24-2016 05:50 PM)dbbotkin Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 03:59 PM)Maro Wrote:  Tim, this is really annoying for Mac users. I was confident that with the first update there should be a proper file sharing since this is really a key feature for such a great calculator App and I don't understand what's the problem with that ... really disappointing, especially since there is neither a ConKit for OS X

HP sells Windows PC's.

This is how some people in Marketing think. (like nicotine in cigarettes, sugar in cereal . . . Not evil, just business.) Engineers don't think that way from my experience.

Let's hope that the engineers win this time and we see a move to Mac OS compatibility and a removal of the constraints on I/O and file transfers.

dbbotkin, I am afraid that your post doesn't make sense.

OK, I have windows PC (HP actually and they sold it to me), but there is no way how to communicate with HP Prime on android (which they sold me too). How you explain it? :-)

Prime, 15C CE
02-24-2016, 09:02 PM
(02-24-2016 08:23 PM)chromos Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 05:50 PM)dbbotkin Wrote:  HP sells Windows PC's.

dbbotkin, I am afraid that your post doesn't make sense.

OK, I have windows PC (HP actually and they sold it to me), but there is no way how to communicate with HP Prime on android (which they sold me too). How you explain it? :-)

By "my post" you mean the part about data capture using the StreamSmart 410, right? No, that only works with an actual Prime, not the virtual ones using Android or iOS.

If you mean my "marketing" comment about the education market segment, I'll try to clarify: HP wants to sell PC's and printers--lots of them--and schools are the target. It is in their financial interest to make it easy to use a Prime in school on a PC, using the Wireless kit and other hardware the teacher can monitor. Making connecting anything else easy--iPhone, iPad, virtual apps, etc.--seems not part of their business plan.

I hope I'm wrong about this.
02-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Maybe I got whole thread wrong, but I cannot see any mention about the StreamSmart 410. What I see is:
  • lenborje made complaint about missing file transfer between his mac and prime app;
  • you wrote about hp pc sells;
  • then I wrote I have hp pc and still no connectivity to my prime (altough it is android app);
But maybe I am wrong at it as I said above. :-)

Prime, 15C CE
02-24-2016, 10:43 PM
(02-24-2016 09:19 PM)chromos Wrote:  Maybe I got whole thread wrong, but I cannot see any mention about the StreamSmart 410. What I see is:
  • lenborje made complaint about missing file transfer between his mac and prime app;
  • you wrote about hp pc sells;
  • then I wrote I have hp pc and still no connectivity to my prime (altough it is android app);
But maybe I am wrong at it as I said above. :-)

Thanks for your post and sorry for the confusion: there are two current threads on the general topic of Prime "connectivity" and my post on the SmartStream 410 is: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5753.html and it provides connectivity for data capture to various Prime Apps.

My comment about HP was less about what they sell than about why they might not support connectivity for the virtual calculators on iOS or Android. Based on the posts in this forum in comparison to the now ancient history of HP and the users of the 41c, I believe HP no longer regards its top of the line calculator as a 'product' but as a tie-in to sales of other items like a classroom package for schools.

In other words, it will be up to clever users to develop connectivity apps for the virtual Primes. Once again, I hope I am wrong.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)