When art imitates mathmatics
03-09-2016, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 09:51 PM by Jlouis.)
When art imitates mathmatics
Architect Oscar Niemeyer is famous to have designed Brazil's capital, Brasilia, together with Lucio Costa.

What almost nobody knows is that one of his most famous art concept, the Palacio da Alvorada, official brazil's presidential residence, has the form of two math functions plotted together forming a beautifull sculpture in its front.

Check it out, get your preferred HP graphing calculator and plot the following functions togheter:

|COS(X)|

|1/COS(X)|

Edited: For better viewing that form in the calculator, I suggest a window of: x (-6 and 6) and y (-1 and 6).

Now compare with the picture of President Dilma Rousseff meeting President Barack Obama in front of Palacio da Alvorada.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2016, 07:41 PM
RE: When art imitates mathmatics
Beautiful, both the plots and the picture.
03-09-2016, 08:13 PM
(03-09-2016 05:53 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Now compare with the picture of President Dilma Rousseff meeting President Barack Obama in front of Palacio da Alvorada.

I don't mind the gentleman in the picture, but I would have preferred a picture without the lady in red in it. I've been to Brasília in two occasions. Indeed beautiful buildings and architecture.

There was a woman in high heel,
Dressed in red, dumb, no sex appeal.
And this lady from Brazil
She would have no rest until
She slipped on a banana peel!
03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Indeed Gerson, indeed...

And the poem is very interesting...Smile
03-09-2016, 09:12 PM
Just tested it on my HP 50g. Nice, but I guess it would be nicer on the Prime (but I think I'll WAIT UNTIL calc and emulator prices DROP).
03-09-2016, 09:45 PM
(03-09-2016 09:12 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Just tested it on my HP 50g. Nice, but I guess it would be nicer on the Prime (but I think I'll WAIT UNTIL calc and emulator prices DROP).

Yes Gerson, very nice. Now imagine Oscar Niemyer, in the early 20's, when he started in college, no computer, no calculators... only paper and pencil....to plot functions...and he discovered this...and it stayed in his mind untill late 50's when he idealized Brasilia togheter with Lucio Costa...now go figure where a genius get their ideas...
03-10-2016, 10:57 PM
I plotted equations on my 50g but none of them is even approaching Obama or Roussef?
03-11-2016, 01:34 AM
(03-10-2016 10:57 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I plotted equations on my 50g but none of them is even approaching Obama or Roussef?

Hmmmm... I guess you did not use a 50g, but rather a TI or Casio...because in my 50g I can see crystal clear Obama waving one hand, saying goodbye....and Rousseff leaving the building by the back door....

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)