Thread Closed 
TOS DVD available via torrent
06-04-2016, 09:39 AM
TOS DVD available via torrent
I've just noticed that the TOS DVD is available for download via torrent.

Just visit TOS.
Find all posts by this user
06-04-2016, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 11:05 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: TOS DVD available via torrent
(06-04-2016 09:39 AM)emece67 Wrote:  I've just noticed that the TOS DVD is available for download via torrent.

Just visit TOS.

Updated: It appears there are many updates in here, compared to the last DVD release.

DVD: 8057 Files in 477 Folders.

Torrent: 8413 Files in 516 Folders.

If you grab a copy, please let the program run for another hour or so to seed (speed up download for ) other users.

Thanks Warren!

--Bob Prosperi
06-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Smile, that is what I recognized yesterday, too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2016, 03:07 PM
(06-04-2016 09:39 AM)emece67 Wrote:  I've just noticed that the TOS DVD is available for download via torrent.

Thanks for the info. I was looking for the DVD for over a year, now.
06-04-2016, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 07:07 PM by HP67.)
Will somebody please send me a PM explaining what this is about and where to find the torrent?

Thank you.

Thanks, some kind person has gotten in touch with me.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
06-04-2016, 08:45 PM
(06-04-2016 06:39 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Will somebody please send me a PM explaining what this is about and where to find the torrent?

Thank you.

OK, I need info about only TOS: what is that?

Csaba
06-04-2016, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 09:08 PM by hp41cx.)
hp41
org
/Intro
cfm

I know someone will throw me out.
It was nice to have learned and shared so much information.
15 years.
1 2 3 Bye

"Information must flow." ;-)

Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All BasicĀ“s
06-04-2016, 08:55 PM
(06-04-2016 08:45 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 06:39 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Will somebody please send me a PM explaining what this is about and where to find the torrent?

Thank you.

OK, I need info about only TOS: what is that?

Csaba

TOS stands for The (or That) Other Site, another website whose name cannot be used here. Search old archives for "TOS" to find the history if you care about why (which is not really too interesting) but suffice it to say it is a somewhat related website which focuses on the HP-41.

--Bob Prosperi
06-05-2016, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 01:07 AM by Dave Hicks.)
Yeah I gave a detailed explanation years ago on the old forum. Since then I believe the only change is that I told the owner of TOS that the only way this would be changed was if his contact at HP would tell my contact at HP that things were changed, but he responded that his contact at HP was "unresponsive".

I have a theory. It's purely my theory, and I can tell you that when I worked at Intel I used to read people's theories about Intel on the internet and they were often laughable. And then sometimes someone would get one right, but then no one else would believe it anyway.

But with that humongous caveat, my theory goes like this: A lot has happened to calculators at HP over the years. They moved to different groups. Moved to different states. Moved to different countries. And for a while, didn't exist at all. (Possibly more than once.) HP's leadership and corporate culture have also gone through large changes. Back when I asked for permission to scan the manuals, HP still prided itself on making decisions at the lowest possible level. By contrast, a few years later I asked a question and it was forwarded up and up and I finally got an answer: From Carly Fiorina. Only it wasn't really to the question I asked. I suppose if you are answering all the questions asked of HP, you kind of have to skim them. (My original point of contact told me that this sort of answer to not the question asked was common in the then "new HP".) More recently I asked another IP permission question - something I thought was well within the spirit of my original permission from HP, though not in the exact letter. I was told that HP is very different now and this would have to run through HP legal again and things were so different that not only would they probably say no to the new request/clarification, they could easily rescind the old one. Thus it was suggested that I not poke the bear. (And I didn't.)

So I think that someone somehow somewhere got a permission from someone somewhere at HP that is/was not recorded/respected/believed/liked??? by the calculator management that existed at some other time/place. And thus, no one wants to talk to either of us. Thus some time ago someone asked me to not allow people to link to certain stuff in the forum and I complied since my continuing permission to redistribute manuals requires a friendly relationship. The above is just a theory but I think it's plausible. But if someone that I recognize as an HP calculator manager (or whoever makes the decisions in today's HP) tells me that's not needed anymore, that's cool too. Not to mention easier. (I have requested such a statement in the past. Maybe it's still being forwarded around HP ;-) Maybe it's on Carly's laptop. ;-))

In any case, since people have gone out of their way to spell it out, I'm going to go ahead and close the thread. "TOS" by contrast seems to do a fine job of flying under the radar.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)