Which RPN models have 26 memory keys A to Z?
06-05-2016, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 07:09 AM by ReachDanSutton.)
Which RPN models have 26 memory keys A to Z?
I have an HP 32sII and the keyboard isn't working well any longer (has bad contact points). I want to know which non-graphing HP calculators have 26 memory positions/keys like the 32sII has (doesn't have to be programmable nor scientific)?

I've found these models all have 26 memory positions/keys:
HP-32sII
HP-32s
HP-35
WP-31 (the Hewlett Packard "WP"-31 is one I located on a site yet I cannot find one of these to purchase anywhere yet it does have the multiple memory keys like my 32II does).
I am asking simply so that i can find a calculator to purchase and the more models i know about the more options I'll be able to use with my current shopping search.
I appreciate any help with this as it aides my hunt for my next HP purchase.
Thanks.
-Dan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 06:57 AM
RE: Which RPN models have 26 memory keys A to Z?
The 31S doesn't have lettered registers -- at least not a full set of them.

The 32S, 32Sii, 33S and 35S are the ones with this feature that spring to mind.
My favourite of all of these is the 32Sii closely followed by the 32S.

- Pauli
06-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Great thank you so much for your help. I also appreciate helping to clarify what I'm seeking are a full set of 26 registers.
06-05-2016, 07:40 PM
(06-05-2016 06:45 AM)ReachDanSutton Wrote:  WP-31 (the Hewlett Packard "WP"-31 is one I located on a site yet I cannot find one of these to purchase anywhere yet it does have the multiple memory keys like my 32II does).

The WP31s is not a usual HP calculator but a community project. You will find the three major developers on this website's forums. "WP" are simply the initials of Walter and Pauli. ;-) The calculator is a simplified version of the WP34s, and both are based on HP hardware, i.e. an HP20B or 30B, running custom firmware.

The WP31s has keys that are labelled with letters, but it uses numeric register addresses (R00, R01 etc.). Letters are only used for the stack registers X, Y, Z and T, as well as for J and K which are used for special purposes, and finally I and L which hold the imaginary and real part of LastX.

You'll find hundreds, if not thousands of posts about the 31s and especially the 34s in the forum archives of this website. Although most users make their own 31s or 34s from a standard 30B, dedicated firmware, a special connection cable for flashing and finally a custom keyboard overlay, you can also purchase a complete calculator - take a look here and here. However, the 31s seems to be unavailable, and this could also soon happen to the 34s.

Dieter
06-05-2016, 09:41 PM
(06-05-2016 07:40 PM)Dieter Wrote:  The WP31s has keys that are labelled with letters, but it uses numeric register addresses (R00, R01 etc.). Letters are only used for the stack registers X, Y, Z and T, as well as for J and K which are used for special purposes, and finally I and L which hold the imaginary and real part of LastX.

For the record, letters are also used for the registers A, B, C, and D which may be employed as additional stack registers or general purpose registers. And register I is just another general purpose register since the WP 31S doesn't support complex numbers (while the WP 34S does).

And yes, both WP calculators may suffer from their HP hardware base decreasing. There are, however, other bases rising which will be used for further projects. If you're interested, look for WP 36S.

d:-)

(BTW, this thread should be moved to the general forum, doesn't it?)
06-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Great helpful info; I especially appreciate the two links and of course the additional model to seek out WP 36S. I truly appreciate the community's help on this. Thank you all.
06-06-2016, 07:23 AM
(06-05-2016 06:57 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The 31S doesn't have lettered registers -- at least not a full set of them.

- Pauli

HP 22S as well, I think.

Nigel (UK)
06-06-2016, 10:30 AM
(06-06-2016 07:23 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 06:57 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The 31S doesn't have lettered registers -- at least not a full set of them.

- Pauli

HP 22S as well, I think.

Nigel (UK)
. . . but, of course, not RPN. Sorry!

Nigel (UK)
06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
The Hp 17bii actually can handle this and actually offers even more, limited only by memory as it has full length naming (up to six letters anyway). And this calculator is often available for the least cost, often less than its less powerful predecessor, the Hp 12c. Its drawbacks, no trig and limited function set. However, it does have a decent set of statistics functions and has list based statistics.
Something to add to your list if you can do without trig functions.
06-07-2016, 01:15 AM
(06-06-2016 05:00 PM)Ron Ross Wrote:  The Hp 17bii actually can handle this and actually offers even more.... Its drawbacks, no trig and limited function set.

Trig functions can be added using the awesome solver feature in the 17BII, see details and code in these articles:

Improved TRIG. and INVERSE TRIG. functions for the HP-17BII

A very long HP-17BII equation
Updated here

Don't let the long formulas freak you out either, just take your time entering them. Also, in the update, Gerson suggests a simple method to make entering the equation less daunting.

--Bob Prosperi
06-07-2016, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 12:02 PM by striegel.)
Check the 32SII keyboard contact strip
(06-05-2016 06:45 AM)ReachDanSutton Wrote:  I have an HP 32sII and the keyboard isn't working well any longer (has bad contact points). I want to know which non-graphing HP calculators have 26 memory positions/keys like the 32sII has (doesn't have to be programmable nor scientific)?

Your 32SII might be suffering from the common fault of the zebra strip making poor contact. It happens when the foam that presses the keyboard contact strip against the circuit board loses its force. Test for this by lightly pressing the bezel just below the display while working with the keys. You can find the self-test procedure here.

If that turns out to be the problem it can be corrected but you'll have to be somewhat adventurous and willing to remove some plastic to open the machine. See the method for repair of "The HP42S Pioneer" in http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/download...e_2010.pdf.

Good luck,
Alan
06-07-2016, 05:28 PM
(06-07-2016 03:10 PM)striegel Wrote:  If that turns out to be the problem it can be corrected but you'll have to be somewhat adventurous and willing to remove some plastic to open the machine. See the method for repair of "The HP42S Pioneer" in http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/download...e_2010.pdf.

Or, you could have it repaired, if this indeed is the problem. Contact Adam Jones (aj04062 on the forum) about the costs, procedure, etc. I can confirm that for Adam's repairs, the case will appear as if it was never opened; your Pioneer will look jus the same as before surgery.

--Bob Prosperi
06-07-2016, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 12:01 PM by striegel.)
12c Platinum has memory for up to 80 cash flows
(06-05-2016 06:45 AM)ReachDanSutton Wrote:  ... I want to know which non-graphing HP calculators have 26 memory positions/keys like the 32sII has (doesn't have to be programmable nor scientific)?

I've found these models all have 26 memory positions/keys

There is also the current 12c Platinum (F2232A), which has memory for up to 80 cash flows, although putting values in and retrieving them can be a kind of roundabout process.

The conventional 20 memory registers are really straightforward to store and recall (same as they've been on the standard 12c for a lot of years).

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)