Classic, Woodstock and Spice Emulators
08-09-2016, 02:04 PM
RE: Classic, Woodstock and Spice Emulators
(08-09-2016 12:06 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  If some more experiments will also succeed, I think I can announce that a modified newACT repair kit will finally be available for repairing of defective HP-19C calculatorsSmile

Bernhard

You can put me down for #001, or maybe #002 if you need one yourself Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 02:55 PM
(08-09-2016 02:04 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 12:06 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  If some more experiments will also succeed, I think I can announce that a modified newACT repair kit will finally be available for repairing of defective HP-19C calculatorsSmile

Bernhard

You can put me down for #001, or maybe #002 if you need one yourself Smile

Harald
Thats great! I knew there would be some demand for it. Of course I hope I can repair my own HP-19C first. But don't wait for the next days, it is more a matter of weeks.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
08-10-2016, 01:41 PM
(08-09-2016 02:55 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(08-09-2016 02:04 PM)Harald Wrote:  You can put me down for #001, or maybe #002 if you need one yourself Smile

Harald
Thats great! I knew there would be some demand for it. Of course I hope I can repair my own HP-19C first. But don't wait for the next days, it is more a matter of weeks.

Bernhard

There is no rush. Smile
08-20-2016, 08:39 PM
HP19C Emulator Version 1.01

I just released the HP-19C microcode emulator version 1.01.

It is the first version, that does print correctly. I needed to understand the "pik cr?" instruction by analyzing the microcode and my brain needs more time than ever to get all things right. The pik cr? instruction does start the print motor if not already started, and tests whether the print buffer is full. If the print buffer is full (more than 20 characters in buffer) then it clears the s3 flag. It is very simple, but I'm not Sherlock Holmes, he would have been much faster.

Anyway, the HP-19C sould print now as the original in MAN/TRACE/NORM mode.

Because I don't have a working HP-19C, if anybody finds some misbehaviour, don't hesitate to report bugs.

HP-19C Emulator

I still didn't find an appropriate font for the printer output. Does anybody know about a non proportional font, which contains all HP 5x7 Thermoprint characters.

Bernhard
I will not have internet access for the next 2 weeks

08-20-2016, 11:49 PM
(08-20-2016 08:39 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  HP19C Emulator Version 1.01

I just released the HP-19C microcode emulator version 1.01.

Hi Bernhard,

Excellent work Smile

I tried to run it on my laptop, but this is the display result.

cheers

Tony
08-21-2016, 12:10 AM
(08-20-2016 11:49 PM)teenix Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

Excellent work Smile

cheers

Tony

Obviously the internal background image is much smaller than the window and doesn't match the other elements. I don't know the reason. In the next version I will allow user images. Sorry! Not so excellent work yet.

Bernhard

08-21-2016, 12:16 AM
(08-21-2016 12:10 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(08-20-2016 11:49 PM)teenix Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

Excellent work Smile

cheers

Tony

Obviously the internal background image is much smaller than the window and doesn't match the other elements. I don't know the reason. In the next version I will allow user images. Sorry! Not so excellent work yet.

Bernhard

Everything looks fine here:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2016, 12:46 AM
(08-21-2016 12:16 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Everything looks fine here:

Thank you Massimo,

I hope it will run on many other PCs too. But nevertheless I will try to find the reason for the wrong image size on teenix laptop.

@teenix : Do you observe the same problem with other emulators from my portfolio?

Bernhard

08-21-2016, 01:12 AM
(08-21-2016 12:10 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Obviously the internal background image is much smaller than the window and doesn't match the other elements. I don't know the reason. In the next version I will allow user images. Sorry! Not so excellent work yet.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

Sorry, I just realised, I think I know the problem as I have had to deal with similar skewed looking programs.

My laptop has a 120dpi screen not the usual 96 dpi and I have had to rewrite a lot of older programs to cater for this difference including the early version of my emulator.

If your software allows automatic scaling, then Windows will try to match the image, text sizes and positioning dimensions for different screen resolutions and that process sometimes gives weird results. There are other screen resolutions out there as well and Microsoft itself cannot guarantee that all programs will be rendered properly on all screen types.

My compiler has a Form property called [Scaled] which can be set to True or False.

If you can disable the scaling it may work properly.

cheers

Tony
08-21-2016, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 08:03 AM by fhub.)
(08-21-2016 01:12 AM)teenix Wrote:  My laptop has a 120dpi screen not the usual 96 dpi and I have had to rewrite a lot of older programs ...
Yes, this 120dpi setting is not a good idea at all, there are many programs which have problems with this resolution.
But it's easy to change it, because it's just a Windows setting.

Franz
08-21-2016, 10:00 AM
HP-19C Version 1.02

I just released the next HP-19C version, which now can save and load programs and its data registers. Also the PC keyboard can be used for entering numbers and doing calculations.

This version does not yet allow user images and different window sizes. I will add this feature after my vacation.

Bernhard

08-21-2016, 05:40 PM
(08-21-2016 12:46 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I hope it will run on many other PCs too. But nevertheless I will try to find the reason for the wrong image size on teenix laptop.

Runs fine on my Win-7 Pro x64 (96 dpi), though at 1680 x 1050, the window is rather small. I'm sure alternate images could scale this up as in the other emulators though, so I'm sure it's OK.

The print stack command has surprising output; it appears the printout is justified for center-alignment, rather than the expected Left- or Right- justified listing. I don't have a real 19C, so can't say if this is also true on real h/w, though this would seem to be very non-HP.

Can someone with a real 19C check this and comment?

--Bob Prosperi
08-21-2016, 07:00 PM
(08-21-2016 05:40 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The print stack command has surprising output; it appears the printout is justified for center-alignment, rather than the expected Left- or Right- justified listing. I don't have a real 19C, so can't say if this is also true on real h/w, though this would seem to be very non-HP.

The reason for the wrong alignment is the actual printer font, which is proportional, and thus shows leading spaces much too small. I still try to find (or have to create) a Thermoprinter font.
Can anybody recommend a better font?

Bernhard

08-21-2016, 09:06 PM
(08-21-2016 07:00 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 05:40 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The print stack command has surprising output; it appears the printout is justified for center-alignment, rather than the expected Left- or Right- justified listing. I don't have a real 19C, so can't say if this is also true on real h/w, though this would seem to be very non-HP.

The reason for the wrong alignment is the actual printer font, which is proportional, and thus shows leading spaces much too small. I still try to find (or have to create) a Thermoprinter font.
Can anybody recommend a better font?

Bernhard

Do you think that Luiz's char82143.TTF could be suitable? It is in the same package you already used for LEDcharset_class.TTF

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
08-22-2016, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 12:54 AM by rprosperi.)
(08-21-2016 07:00 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The reason for the wrong alignment is the actual printer font, which is proportional, and thus shows leading spaces much too small. I still try to find (or have to create) a Thermoprinter font.

Ah, OK, makes sense.

Here is a site with lots (104!) of "typewriter fonts", which means fixed-pitch at least for most that I looked at. Lots of minor variations on a basic theme, but they're all free, so worth a look. I'm not sure which is closest in appearance to original 19C character set, or the proper size, otherwise I'd recommend a specific one. It has a nice feature that lets you enter arbitrary text and then you shows you your text in all the various fonts.

http://www.1001fonts.com/typewriter-fonts.html

Edit: added website info

--Bob Prosperi
08-22-2016, 05:07 AM
Thank you very much Massimo and Bob,

I will allow to select the printer font via configuration file in the next version after my vacation.

Bernhard

09-17-2016, 10:09 AM
(08-22-2016 05:07 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I will allow to select the printer font via configuration file in the next version after my vacation.

Finally quoting myself! As I did promise, the HP-19C V1.03 is now completely configurable and you can choose an image of your own or one of the bigger images as part of the HP-19C zip file.

Also a new HP Emulator Manual V1.01 is available, which describes the additional configuration of the printer area and printer font and some more.

Bernhard

09-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Some minor changes and improvements are done in the todays (and now final ?) version. The HP-19C emulator does now have a complete PC keyboard handling, I forgot to map the print slider.

'#' key now moves the MAN/TRACE/NORM slider

Bernhard

09-19-2016, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 07:06 PM by Dieter.)
(09-18-2016 09:18 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Some minor changes and improvements are done in the todays (and now final ?) version.

I just downloaded this version (hp19c.exe date stamp = 18.09.2016 11:03), but when I tried to run it on my good old XP system all I got was an error that said this was not a valid Win32 application. ?!?

BTW your 67 emulator (and all others I tried so far) runs fine. And I love it. ;-)

BTW2: unlike the '67/97, the decimal point of most other HPs from that era does not occupy a full digit. Instead it is placed between the digits. As far as the font is concerned this is no problem, the classic LED font handles this with its regular period/comma. But I don't know if this a problem in terms of emulator programming. ;-)

BTW3: I'd suggest that the display region in the 19C pictures get a uniform dark red, like the 67, which makes the digits blend seamlessly into the background. With the '67 I am using RGB 43,32,38 for this. Or do you know a way of displaying a TTF font on transparent background ?-)

Dieter
09-19-2016, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 07:21 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(09-19-2016 06:44 PM)Dieter Wrote:  I just downloaded this version (hp19c.exe date stamp = 18.09.2016 11:03), but when I tried to run it on my good old XP system all I got was an error that said this was not a valid Win32 application. ?!?

Mea culpa! I accidentally compiled for .NET 4.5. Now I recompiled for .NET 3.5. You can download the new version, which should run also on XP systems.

Thank you for your feedback.

Bernhard

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)