2015 version of HP12c identification
09-04-2016, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 03:55 PM by Dol.)
2015 version of HP12c identification
Hi I presume there is a 2015 version of the HP12c with dual CR2032 batteries.

I already have a 25yr anniversary platinum with a singles cell battery and dislike the buttons and the display.

If I order from Amazon, how do I make sure to get the greatest and latest 2015 model with the latest CPU? Does anyone have a part number for that?

I don't want to order and risk getting a 2003, 2010 etc vintage. I have already ebayed home a few 10 USD random models and only look for the latest.

If anyone with a 2015 model could compare the buttons with the 25yr platinum which I feel are a bit hollow I would also be happy.

Regards,
Fredrik
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2016, 08:24 PM
RE: 2015 version of HP12c identification
See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-12C#HP-12C
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-517...46001.html

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
09-05-2016, 08:18 AM
(09-04-2016 03:53 PM)Dol Wrote:  I already have a 25yr anniversary platinum with a singles cell battery and dislike the buttons and the display.

Which buttons and what features of the display you dislike?
I have exactly the same calculator and almost do not use it because of terrible programming system. I don't understand how such a stuff could become a bestseller.
Probably business people who use it do not even try programming it and just use its embedded functions.
09-05-2016, 06:30 PM
(09-05-2016 08:18 AM)wojtek Wrote:  I have exactly the same calculator and almost do not use it because of terrible programming system. I don't understand how such a stuff could become a bestseller.
Probably business people who use it do not even try programming it and just use its embedded functions.

Well, recall the 12C came out in 1981, and was at the lower end of the Voyager lineup, so not all "advanced" features (e.g. program editing) were included. Its easy to look at this 35 years later and call it terrible, having learned many more modern systems in the interim.

And I agree the VAST majority of 12C users never program, probably less than 1% (just a figure I made up, so no source required). The argument of how many more users would have written programs if there had been a better programming system is moot, but no doubt has been hotly debated here before.

--Bob Prosperi
09-05-2016, 06:44 PM
(09-05-2016 08:18 AM)wojtek Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 03:53 PM)Dol Wrote:  I already have a 25yr anniversary platinum with a singles cell battery and dislike the buttons and the display.

Which buttons and what features of the display you dislike?

Hi I feel the buttons are imprecise and hollow, and the display is very nice and contrasty but somehow the taller number seem harder to read than the normal ones.
09-05-2016, 07:41 PM
rprosperi ' Wrote:  Well, recall the 12C came out in 1981, and was at the lower end of the Voyager lineup, so not all "advanced" features (e.g. program editing) were included. Its easy to look at this 35 years later and call it terrible, having learned many more modern systems in the interim.

My remark was not a complaint addressed to HP people. I was just surprised that business people still love this machine and do not need any improvements. So if they still love a simple hammer more then 30 years old no wonder that HP makes no update to it
09-05-2016, 09:00 PM
(09-05-2016 07:41 PM)wojtek Wrote:  My remark was not a complaint addressed to HP people. I was just surprised that business people still love this machine and do not need any improvements. So if they still love a simple hammer more then 30 years old no wonder that HP makes no update to it

If I made hammers, I would not listen to the 1% of my customers that want an enhanced hammer. I think we agree here Smile

--Bob Prosperi
09-06-2016, 07:07 PM
(09-04-2016 08:24 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-12C#HP-12C
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-517...46001.html

Greetings,

Matthias

Great thanks, even though it was slightly inconclusive the last post was almost what I need. Now just give us the 15c firmware and I buy 2 12c right away
09-10-2016, 12:21 AM
(09-05-2016 06:30 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 08:18 AM)wojtek Wrote:  I have exactly the same calculator and almost do not use it because of terrible programming system. I don't understand how such a stuff could become a bestseller.

Well, recall the 12C came out in 1981, and was at the lower end of the Voyager lineup, so not all "advanced" features (e.g. program editing) were included. Its easy to look at this 35 years later and call it terrible, having learned many more modern systems in the interim.

And I agree the VAST majority of 12C users never program, probably less than 1% (just a figure I made up, so no source required). The argument of how many more users would have written programs if there had been a better programming system is moot, but no doubt has been hotly debated here before.

It is a challenge to program the HP 12C, especially the classic version with 99 steps but it is kind of fun, as long as trig isn't required (although there are great programs to calculate trig functions, yet almost all the memory is used).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2016, 12:22 AM
(09-05-2016 09:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 07:41 PM)wojtek Wrote:  My remark was not a complaint addressed to HP people. I was just surprised that business people still love this machine and do not need any improvements. So if they still love a simple hammer more then 30 years old no wonder that HP makes no update to it

If I made hammers, I would not listen to the 1% of my customers that want an enhanced hammer. I think we agree here Smile

I'll third this notion. The HP 12C is dare I say the definitive HP calculator.
01-31-2017, 05:42 AM
Got the HP 12C and 15C Apps both on my Android Galaxy S7 Edge the screen size is just perfect match to the real calculator dimension. All the functions and features work perfectly and I'm very happy with it. So I have both of these in my phone that I take it with me everywhere ready to be use at all time.

I also got the HP 12C+ the latest model ordered from Amazon. This one I keep at home on my desk ready to be use at home. This new updated HP 12C+ calculation speed is very fast I mean lighting fast no more waiting for answer. Classic look and feel with lighting fast calculation speed. The bottom click feel OK to me I have no problem with it at all. This is just the perfect Financial Calculator you still can buy today.
02-01-2017, 11:34 AM
(09-04-2016 03:53 PM)Dol Wrote:  Hi I presume there is a 2015 version of the HP12c with dual CR2032 batteries.

The dual CR3032 version has been around since 2011:
New HP12C that uses 2 batteries, and is blazing fast.

(09-04-2016 03:53 PM)Dol Wrote:  If I order from Amazon, how do I make sure to get the greatest and latest 2015 model with the latest CPU? Does anyone have a part number for that?

From Tim Wessman's post in the thread quoted above:
"The are identical part numbers as the old one (same product - transparent to the end user. . .) "

So unfortunately no easy way to identify. However, they've been around for 6 years so I would expect that by now most stores would be selling the dual CR2032 battery version - but nothing is guaranteed of course.

I can't vouch for the buttons or display. It's not the same as the eighties model of course, but as people's perception of good & bad differs it's not easy to be impartial on this.

02-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Does the product description not say how many batteries of which type are needed? Most online retailers do.
02-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Some time ago I have done some research on the 12C variants with the help of many MoHPC members.
Here is the thread.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

06-02-2017, 02:48 PM
(09-05-2016 07:41 PM)wojtek Wrote:  
rprosperi ' Wrote:  Well, recall the 12C came out in 1981, and was at the lower end of the Voyager lineup, so not all "advanced" features (e.g. program editing) were included. Its easy to look at this 35 years later and call it terrible, having learned many more modern systems in the interim.

My remark was not a complaint addressed to HP people. I was just surprised that business people still love this machine and do not need any improvements. So if they still love a simple hammer more then 30 years old no wonder that HP makes no update to it

It's a fairly simple reason. Finance industry folks don't need to use the calculator for actual financial work much anymore. Excel is used for any advanced models that need to be implemented. The HP12C can handle all of the basic statistics and cash-flow discounting for finance.

The only reason this calculator is still popular is probably because it's only one of two approved calculators for many industry exams like the CFA.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)