capabilities of HP prime solver
09-17-2016, 10:14 AM
capabilities of HP prime solver
My HP27 died due to a failing keyboard and I am lookin for a replacement. Tried the 50G which was a mismatch for me and I did not like it at all. I do not like RPN.

Another calculator that attracts me is the 'prime'. I have downloaded the emulator to play a bit.
I found the solver in the emulator and a bundle of 10 possible rows for equations.
Am I right you can create a bundle of max 10 equations?

Does this mean only one bundle/set? Or can you create more bundles?

like:

passive component caculations
Filter calculations
Stepup converter calculations
Thermal calculations
etc.

it this is possible, that would be extremely helpfull

Sometimes it is petty difficult to find your way in a manual if you have no clue where to search.
I hope to find some more info here before I decide.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2016, 11:44 AM
RE: capabilities of HP prime solver
The prime has built in applications, and each app has an associated set of variables that are used for that app. However, you can also run programs unrelated to the built in apps. The prime is quite versatile. Be sure to browse the quick start guide, which is helpful getting up to speed initially. With experience, you will most likely be very satisfied with the built in power of this amazing hand held calculator!

-Dale-
09-17-2016, 03:08 PM
(09-17-2016 10:14 AM)bhennink Wrote:  Does this mean only one bundle/set? Or can you create more bundles?

like:

passive component caculations
Filter calculations
Stepup converter calculations
Thermal calculations
etc.

In "Apps" mode, select the Solve app and touch the "Save" soft-key. This brings up a dialog where you can enter the name of the new copy of the Solve app that will be created. You can created as many copies of the app as you need (within the limits of memory). Each will provide you with 10 equations. You can even change the Solve apps' icons to match the subject matter.

Personally, the Prime would be an excellent replacement for your 27s. It will cost you less than getting a replacement on eBay.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
09-17-2016, 04:23 PM
In "Apps" mode, select the Solve app and touch the "Save" soft-key. This brings up a dialog where you can enter the name of the new copy of the Solve app that will be created. You can created as many copies of the app as you need (within the limits of memory). Each will provide you with 10 equations. You can even change the Solve apps' icons to match the subject matter.

Personally, the Prime would be an excellent replacement for your 27s. It will cost you less than getting a replacement on eBay.
[/quote]

Hi DrD this sounds promising and pretty much what I hoped for. Does this also work with the emulator?
SO I can have some subject and collect up to 10 equtions under that subject.
And those copies are easy accessible?
09-17-2016, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 04:26 PM by Mark Hardman.)
Yes, yes and yes.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
09-18-2016, 05:51 PM
and how about the HP39II?
THis looks like a simpler Prime?
09-18-2016, 08:53 PM
(09-18-2016 05:51 PM)bhennink Wrote:  and how about the HP39II?

It is in some ways, but really isn't a good choice. The product was discontinued nearly immediately on introduction due to the chip manufacturer being sold right before the calculator was introduced.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-18-2016, 09:32 PM
(09-18-2016 08:53 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 05:51 PM)bhennink Wrote:  and how about the HP39II?

It is in some ways, but really isn't a good choice. The product was discontinued nearly immediately on introduction due to the chip manufacturer being sold right before the calculator was introduced.

OUTCH!! That is clear a nobrainer NO I will drop this one
09-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Hello Bert,

You can easily store the solver app, once you entered a system of up to 10 equasions, by leaving the app using the Apps button now you are in the App library, and at the bottom left you have the button Save, use this and type an appropiate name. Now you saved a copy of the Solver app, check if the new app is correctly functioning and then open the original Solver app and clear all content with Shift and Esc(ape), to be used for a new problem. In the app library you can go back to the app you stored earlier under a different name with all the stored funcions.

Best regards,
Pieter
09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Hi Pieter tried that in the emulator on my PC at work and that seems to work. That is very niceSmile

One strange observation, Am I correct that a variable in the equation is only 1char and optional en number like R1, C1 etc?? Or is that some setting that I could change?

I am used to var names like RSNS,RSTU,COSC,RPAR,CDEC etc.

These var names ar like used in datasheets of components and make it easy to recognize
09-19-2016, 02:07 PM
(09-19-2016 01:01 PM)bhennink Wrote:  Hi Pieter tried that in the emulator on my PC at work and that seems to work. That is very niceSmile

One strange observation, Am I correct that a variable in the equation is only 1char and optional en number like R1, C1 etc?? Or is that some setting that I could change?

I am used to var names like RSNS,RSTU,COSC,RPAR,CDEC etc.

These var names ar like used in datasheets of components and make it easy to recognize

Yes you can use them.

On Prime however (except in the CAS view), variables need to be defined/declared as variables FIRST before you use them. All the variables you are naming are actually predefined already in one application or as a global system variables. This is why it will otherwise interpret RSNS as R*S*N*S using implied multiplication and the A-Z real variables.

Press SHIFT-1 for Program, and declare your variables in the top source item named "Solve (App)" typing:

EXPORT RSNS,RSTU,COSC,RPAR,CDEC; //these are my variables

Note how you can even have a comment. You may also assign an initial value like such.

EXPORT RSNS:=123,RSTU,COSC,RPAR,CDEC; //these are my variables

Now you can access and use them like you'd like. The values will be associated with the application and not a global variable in some other spot. Note that the predefined variables are not going to let you overwrite them.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Hi, Thanks for all aswers so far.
Ik will leave for an urgent trip in a few houres and will have limitted internet access.
I will be backSmile

Bert

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)