Calculator find
10-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Calculator find
Found today new Casio Classpad 330 plus for 15€ hanging in local store couldn't resist. I needed to ask for the salesperson if there is typo, nope last unit, he took the price tag off from the shelder after I took the device.

Wish there were HP finds like these. Smile

Does anyone know a good engineering applications for it? preferably in London dialect over Lisbon dialect.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2016, 07:12 AM
RE: Calculator find
Unfortunately, the Classpad 300 series are the worst calculators ever made, at least for me. i aquired a few of them in the last years, mostly paid below 20€ (which is equally below $20). The screen is highly reflective and has poor contrast, even more when the screen protector is on. without the protector, the screen scratches very easily as there is only a thin plastic film on it, no glass. the device is slow and has a low-resolution display. all functions have to be typed out on a tiny keyboard or selected in an equally tiny menu, which is hard to read on the display - especially with overhead lamps which are common in a school room. The hardware keys are not mappable and always use the same functions - wether you need them or you dont. Also, just for the laughs: There are multiple devices (classpad 300, 330, the plus variants, devices which can attach to a projector unit and so on), ALL of which have incompatible firmware and incompatible "apps". there are some devices which do as a rule understand apps, but there simply are none which run on that version of the os... And you usually will just find out after downloading as there is no real way to see it beforehand. The lot of calculator models parts in two groups though: about half of them is able to use the latest OS and most of the apps, and the other half cannot use the newest OS and next to no apps at all. Usually it has to boot for a while when it was off for more than 8 hours (e.g. over night), but that can be changed as far as i remember. If you want to connect it to a PC you might need WinXP, i did not bring it to work on Win7 or even 10. YMMV though.

I like the device for the functionality, the OS is nice and fairly clearly arranged. the badly composed hardware is the problem.

I must admit that i had some fun with them though - they are nice to play with (but not at all usuable).
10-26-2016, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 12:19 PM by Gerald H.)
I contest, Damaltor, your assertion that the Classpad 300 is the worst calculator.

I suggest a worthy candidate for that title is the HP 38G.
10-26-2016, 12:48 PM
You might be right with that - though the 38G at least has a somewhat readable display in comparison to the classpad, and a keyboard which can actually be used to type in stuff Big Grin
10-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Oh, I'll throw it to the dark dungeon to collect dust then and sell it 120 years from now to some Casio collector. Tongue
10-26-2016, 05:02 PM
I have a Classpad 330 which I enjoy fiddling with but I would have to admit that when I need a calculator to get something done, it is likely to be the last one I consider. It's more of a math themed novelty than a usable tool. I can see why students might like it as it is full of easy-to-use templates for doing things.
10-26-2016, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 06:06 PM by Chasfield.)
The calculator usability equation:

general usability factor, U = 1 / (1 + C)

Where C is the curriculum coefficient, or the degree to which the calculator has been adapted (or messed with) to support school mathematics curricula.

C is zero for the HP15C, giving a U factor of unity.

For a Casio FX-83 GT Plus, C can be reckoned in the hundreds.
For the TI-Nspire range, current estimates for C exceed Avogadro's number.
10-27-2016, 11:14 AM
(10-26-2016 02:49 PM)Vtile Wrote:  Oh, I'll throw it to the dark dungeon to collect dust then and sell it 120 years from now to some Casio collector. Tongue

That is indeed a well-thought idea. The device is slightly slanted and has fairly good rubber feet though, sou you might consider use as a doorstop.
10-28-2016, 11:39 AM
(10-27-2016 11:14 AM)damaltor Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 02:49 PM)Vtile Wrote:  Oh, I'll throw it to the dark dungeon to collect dust then and sell it 120 years from now to some Casio collector. Tongue

That is indeed a well-thought idea. The device is slightly slanted and has fairly good rubber feet though, sou you might consider use as a doorstop.

I wonder if it will float and such make no use as an anchor.
11-03-2016, 08:28 AM
As it weighs in at a bit more than 300 grams (without batteries) that might even work.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)