169th prime x 2 = 42 limited edition?
11-20-2016, 05:29 PM
169th prime x 2 = 42 limited edition?
Sorry for the riddle, it was just to catch your eye. As we all know by heart ;O) the 169th prime number is 1009, and 1009 x 2 = 2018. It will take just some more days than 365 to reach that year, which all green berets in this forum will recognize as the 30th anniversary of the HP42s' launch, if this rookie is right.

Who in this forum wouldn't feel moved by the attached (fake) picture? I hope you don't mind, if I ask about the odds of a prospect limited edition of this venerable model, if any.

PS: I know, I know, SM DM42s is in the works and about to be launched, but there are other threads dealing with it, so please, there is no need to mention in this one, IMHO. Thanks in advance.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2016, 05:34 PM
RE: 169th prime x 2 = 42 limited edition?
I'd rather wait for the 41st anniversary of the 41 in 2020. :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-21-2016, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 06:54 AM by Thomas Radtke.)
I learned HPs claim went from invent to keep reinventing lately, so let us have both of them, HP! :-)
11-21-2016, 07:46 AM
I doubt a HP-42S AE or LE will come. HP had plenty of time for that and it passed unused.
11-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Well, they missed the 40th birtday of two really spectacular calculators, the Hp65 and 67 (would have been this year) - so why should they bother about all the "minor" calculator jubilees?
11-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Does anybody know how many HP15C-LE units were sold?... and did HP consider that figure a success/failure?
Just curious :o|

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
11-21-2016, 08:52 PM
IIRC there was a gap between LE-numbers of USA models and rest-of-the-world models, so it's difficult to guess the number of units sold per time. I have a 2936 and ordered early. To me, it appears to be a safe bet to say there were much less calculators than people wanting one.

Unfortunately, HP stopped shipping the 15C LE for some time after keyboard problems became apparent, and this likely wasn't in favour of a positive view on this business.

Last not least the 15C LE was advertized as "great gift", so the management in charge never had the idea people would actually use it *rolleyes*.

Even more speculative: There were rumors about a regular version just before it became clear the Voyager architecture was again in need of a change, means the firmware woud have to be touched again. And that's beside removing the known bugs, with the most annoying one the keyboard timeout routine (random double entries).

Oh, I answered to more than you've asked, Luigi Big Grin.

BTW, Casio was clever enough to continue selling a hopelessly outdated model (fx-4500p, is it still on sale?) just because people wanting them, imagine!
11-21-2016, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 10:16 PM by d b.)
(11-21-2016 08:52 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Last not least the 15C LE was advertized as "great gift", so the management in charge never had the idea people would actually use it *rolleyes*.

BTW, Casio was clever enough to continue selling a hopelessly outdated model (fx-4500p, is it still on sale?) just because people wanting them, imagine!

Don't use "imagine" - you run risk your thread will be closed! See the sub-forum about "not quite HP calculators". Or was there another reason?
<<<MODERATOR (Den Belillo) NOTE: HAL_2001 is vacationed for being one of walter bonin's 7 (or more?) extra fake accounts here. The worst are simply deleted. END NOTE>>>
11-21-2016, 09:26 PM
(11-21-2016 09:06 PM)Walter Wrote:  
(11-21-2016 08:52 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Last not least the 15C LE was advertized as "great gift", so the management in charge never had the idea people would actually use it *rolleyes*.

Don't use "imagine" - you run risk your thread will be closed! See the sub-forum about "not quite HP calculators". Or was there another reason?

Mmmmm... this reminds me of someone. :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-21-2016, 10:19 PM
(11-21-2016 09:26 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(11-21-2016 09:06 PM)Walter Wrote:  Don't use "imagine" - you run risk your thread will be closed! See the sub-forum about "not quite HP calculators". Or was there another reason?

Mmmmm... this reminds me of someone. Smile

Massimo; That does have a familiar whine. If it gets no worse though, I'll ignore it. However; I'm not the only one with a delete key, and you're not the only one who has mentioned it. Thanks for the heads up. - db
11-21-2016, 10:21 PM
(11-21-2016 08:52 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  [...]
Oh, I answered to more than you've asked, Luigi :D.
[...]

First of all, I want to thank your comprehensive review of the HP15C-LE case.

May I ask another question to you? If we could play armchair-CEO roles now, after dinner time (and with some drops of 80° Stroh Schnaps) what would be your estimated number of people willing to open their wallets for a 42 limited edition?
I know, I know... I am asking the €1M question, but after the second glass of Stroh... phew! "I can feel I can fly" ;0)

PS: please, don't forget the wealthy hipster techies. They would love such irresistible vintage device, almost steampunk for many of them >D

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
11-21-2016, 10:40 PM
(11-21-2016 10:21 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  ... what would be your estimated number of people willing to open their wallets for a 42 limited edition?

I would have to buy one because I still hope that one day I will have a complete collection, and it wouldn't be complete without one. Therefore I sincerely hope they don't make it, because I have exactly zero interest in this model - like most other LCD calculators. I already had to buy an (*) HP-15LE for the sake of a complete collection and I didn't even bother to open the box. I would much prefer if they made something revolutionary new instead of re-editions of old stuff. Something like a WP-43S or whatever it was called...

Regards
Max

(*) actually I bought two in the hope they will one day become valuable and I can sell one of them and pay for a holiday in Hawaii with it :-)
11-22-2016, 06:10 AM
(11-21-2016 10:21 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  May I ask another question to you? If we could play armchair-CEO roles now, after dinner time (and with some drops of 80° Stroh Schnaps) what would be your estimated number of people willing to open their wallets for a 42 limited edition?
I guess a new 42 would have to be based on something like the 30b (new SoC, new LCD, but still case and keys like this), so, unfortunately no steampunk here (like a new safety razor wouldn't look like a Valet Autostrop ;-)).

It's probably the better machine, but in a new package. In the absence of other information my answer is: As many buyer as for the 15C LE ;-).

Wild guess: Below 100t in the first few years, but not by much.

Thanks for the opportunity to speculate even more Big Grin.
11-22-2016, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 02:13 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
(11-22-2016 06:10 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Wild guess: Below 100t in the first few years, but not by much.
:^O 100Tausand. that wouldn't be a bad figure to start with ;0) ;0)
MfG,

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
11-22-2016, 04:47 PM
That was the official version for HP staff members, just to put things in the right perspective.

N.B. and far less official, first few years isn't exactly precise Wink.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)