Send backup object over Kermit?
03-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Send backup object over Kermit?
Is it possible to send a backup object from the calculator to the PC via Kermit?

I am getting "Invalid Object Type" when I try using :0:mybackup as the name in the Kermit transfer menu on the calculator.

Thanks.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: Send backup object over Kermit?
If you are using Connectivity Kit 4, definitely follow the procedure to download the XModem library to the 48G; while still not perfect, I've found it less flaky than the default Kermit. Follow the steps just as described, it may take a couple trys to get it to download right.

Once you do so, you will need to launch the Xmodem server on the 48 from the library (RS, Library, XSRVER [an F-key], then XSERV [F1]) which is a bit less convenient than the default, but again worth it, imho.

--Bob Prosperi
03-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I am using Kermit on UNIX and don't have a Windows PC so I am trying to get this to work with regular C-Kermit.

The question is how I tell Kermit on the calculator to send the backup object. I am not using the correct syntax and I can't imagine how to tell it to send the file I want.

I hope I didn't miss something obvious in your reply. And thank you for always being one of the first trying to help.

03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
I don't believe you can xfer direclty to/from port memory. Recall the backup object, save to home and then try sending. Pretty sure this should do it since backup objects can indeed be transferred.

And no problem about trying to help. I've recevied soo much help over the years from these forums, that giving back a little to help others is the least I can do. This attitude is why it's such a pleasure here; so many folks are willing to share, help out and make useful suggestions.

--Bob Prosperi
03-09-2014, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 06:07 PM by HP67.)
Thank you. That worked, but after actually having done it, it seems like a very bad idea. Hindsight is 20/20.

For one thing, to delete it from home requires me to drill down in each directory, do VARS, purge, etc. to clean it up. With a good sized backup object this will get old quickly. Also, things will get to the point there isn't space to save the backup object twice.

The 48 User Guide seems to suggest you can send a backup object. But something is missing, or I am missing something. I need to get these printed out. They're not searchable and it's very slow going trying to find something and move around in the manual.

For now, mission accomplished. The calculator is backed up on a UNIX box. Later I will need to find something with less bad side-effects.

03-09-2014, 06:45 PM
The 48G UG says (p.27-12) that you can in fact do an ARCHIVE command, sending the result to a kermit session on a remote host. This may be a better solution than creating, moving and uploading a backup object.

I never tried this so cannot comment on how it works. I use the windows CK4 which has warts, but generally works well. Just don't try to download complex lists to the 48G.

HTH

--Bob Prosperi
03-09-2014, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 07:03 PM by HP67.)
(03-09-2014 06:45 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The 48G UG says (p.27-12) that you can in fact do an ARCHIVE command, sending the result to a kermit session on a remote host.

Yes, this is what I was reading and trying to do. But it doesn't seem to work.

Tomorrow is another day. I will try again later. Thanks again!

Update: when all else fails, read the directions. This does work if you do what the doc says to do, not what I tried. Just a little problem of entering :0:backup instead of :IO:backup

Success!

03-09-2014, 07:37 PM
(03-09-2014 06:53 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Update: when all else fails, read the directions. This does work if you do what the doc says to do, not what I tried. Just a little problem of entering :0:backup instead of :IO:backup

Success!

Yes, it's an affliction we all suffer, from time to time... Glad to know it works.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)