Tell me about the HP 67
12-25-2017, 04:31 AM
RE: Tell me about the HP 67
(12-25-2017 04:26 AM)Trond Wrote:  So it looks like 67 has statistics (mean and SD) while 65 does not? Which other functions were added to the 67?

Just compare photos of the two here in the Museum. These two calculators do, after all, have all their functions on the keyboard, unlike many that came after. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2017, 04:57 AM
(12-25-2017 04:31 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(12-25-2017 04:26 AM)Trond Wrote:  So it looks like 67 has statistics (mean and SD) while 65 does not? Which other functions were added to the 67?

Just compare photos of the two here in the Museum. These two calculators do, after all, have all their functions on the keyboard, unlike many that came after. Smile

Yes, I thought I "knew" that both had statistical functions, until I looked for it in vain on the HP 65 Smile
Find all posts by this user
12-25-2017, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2017 08:47 AM by Dieter.)

What about the museum's feature comparison page?

Dieter
12-25-2017, 10:00 AM
(12-25-2017 08:47 AM)Dieter Wrote:  

Dieter

Exactly what I was going to suggest, until I saw your answer.
Newcomers seem to go for the forum only.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-25-2017, 10:03 AM
(12-25-2017 08:47 AM)Dieter Wrote:  What about the museum's feature comparison page?

Dieter

There should be really a 'like' for those posts (only likes though). Dieter would have a truckloads of them. Also once again nice work from the museum owner to assemble the information there!

Partial OT request. Could someone with a 67 give a shoot to this summation test: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-975...l#pid86751 ?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-25-2017, 03:36 PM
(12-25-2017 10:00 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  [quote='Dieter' pid='86904' dateline='1514191633']

Dieter

I recently had the same question about the HP-65 feature's relative to the HP-67 and got to the feature comparison page by way of the link at the bottom of the HP-65 feature list page. These missing features could very easily be loaded from a magnetic card and then utilize the top row of keys. These functions were included on the "Standard Pac" magnetic card set which I assume shipped with every HP-65. The leather case even has a pocket sized to hold the magnetic card case.

Try CC41!
11-23-2019, 05:01 AM
Holy smokes I have been looking for a 67 and my jaw drops every time I see the prices of fully functional ones Sad

I am a bit picky though. I try to avoid calculators with obvious defects. I suppose that, in addition to being old and a collector's item, the fully functional HP 67's have all been repaired in order to get the card reader working.
11-23-2019, 05:13 AM
They'd also have to have had the battery pack rebuilt.

Pauli
11-29-2019, 10:53 PM
Finally, I'm the proud owner of a 67. It's definitely used but not too bad, and it works just fine.

[Image: t8c8q9myfp141.jpg]
11-30-2019, 12:13 AM
Nice. Enjoy the new toy Smile

Pauli
11-30-2019, 08:54 AM
I got one a few months ago as well. Great machine. I love the way garbage flickers on the display while it's calculating something Smile

It takes a bit of getting used to the shifted functions being written *below* the keys but hey, no pain no gain, right?

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
11-30-2019, 02:36 PM
(11-30-2019 08:54 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  I got one a few months ago as well. Great machine. I love the way garbage flickers on the display while it's calculating something Smile

It takes a bit of getting used to the shifted functions being written *below* the keys but hey, no pain no gain, right?

I also bought a HP-67 a couple of months ago. The extra features and improved accuracy over the HP-65 make the busy keyboard well worth it. The 65 and 67 are both amazing machines.

RPN rules!
12-02-2019, 06:47 PM
So, I noticed that some people have talked about polishing the display. My 67 could perhaps benefit from this. Is this risky (i.e. damage to the calculator) or relatively straightforward?
12-02-2019, 09:17 PM
Hello!

(12-02-2019 06:47 PM)Trond Wrote:  So, I noticed that some people have talked about polishing the display. My 67 could perhaps benefit from this. Is this risky (i.e. damage to the calculator) or relatively straightforward?

There is no risk as long as you use some mild polishing paste which does not contain solvents. I use a product called polyWatch for that purpose. It can be found cheaply on the internet and one small tube is good for dozens of calculator (and watch) displays. It is not "strong" enough to remove deep scratches.

Regards
Max
12-03-2019, 12:06 PM
(12-13-2017 12:23 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 08:45 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

Yes, this is true. For some reason that only HP knows they changed their labeling from above the keys to below for a few calculators only (I am only aware of the HP-97/91 apart from the HP-67). Personally I don't mind too much because in the days when I was really using them I just knew which keys I needed to press and did not have to look at the keyboard very often.

I assume they did that because the 67 has labels a - e, and they couldn't put those letters above the A - E keys because of the card slot. They didn't have that problem with the 65 because it doesn't have labels a - e.

Great reason, Thomas. Well done for that. I’ve been wondering why for some time.

Also for reasons unknown, the WP34S also has this anomaly (without card reader to explain it). Since you have to have labels to stick on the donor HP30B, making a different label set with the texts above the buttons was an easy fix. Even the emulator was fixed with a template.

J

Jaco Mostert, Elec Eng
C47 on DM42, 42S, WP34C&S, 28C, 35S, 32Sii, had 11C; used 67, 85; iOS:42s, Free42, WP31S&34S, HCalc; OSX:WP34C.
12-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Just guessing... The position of a user sitting in front of a table using a desktop calculator is very different from the position of a user of a handheld device. Shifted function labels "below" the keys may be more readable in the desktop position while they may appear cumbersome in the handheld case.

Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)

Please disregard idiomatic mistakes.
My posts are mostly from old memories, not from current research.
12-03-2019, 05:45 PM
(12-03-2019 05:38 PM)Andres Wrote:  Just guessing... The position of a user sitting in front of a table using a desktop calculator is very different from the position of a user of a handheld device. Shifted function labels "below" the keys may be more readable in the desktop position while they may appear cumbersome in the handheld case.

Excellent observation! And it's supported by the fact that all of HP's desktop "Topcat" models have their shifted functions printed below their keys, even the ones which don't have a card reader.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
12-03-2019, 06:34 PM
A quick "review" of the HP 67 after owning it for a few days:

I really like this one. Last time I thought about buying it, the lack of continuous memory turned me off from it, but this one is another keeper for sure. Nice and sturdy build, and a good amount of software available (I'm still waiting for the stat pac). As someone mentioned, the keys rattle when you move it about, but that doesn't bother me.

To me the best part is the ingenious layout of the top row of keys: for quick calculations with no programming they are used for easy access to the functions written above the keys, or as a storage of variables. When using programs they refer directly to the programs written on the card inserted above the keys, and each key can function as two program labels (and also variables still). Finding your programs could not have been easier. Brilliant.

Anything bad? Well, an inbuilt root finder would have been good (I did not like the one in the Standard Pac, but I programmed a better one with help of the folks here), and numerical integration is another thing that the 34C has but not the 67. Otherwise I am sold. Statistics was a nice addition (over the 65 which I don't have). As a biologist and lecturer I use this quite a bit.

I also have some good things to say about the 67 accessories: I really like the carrying case: it is nicely padded and it has a pocket where I keep one sheet of magnetic program cards, and the quick reference sheet. It makes a good package to carry around. The sticker with conversions on the back of the calculator is nice (I wonder why not more calculators have this). Some of the Standard Pac programs are good (apart from the one mentioned above). I even like the artwork on the books and software packages. HP clearly put a lot of work into making a nice overall product here. Great stuff.
12-03-2019, 10:03 PM
(12-03-2019 12:06 PM)Jaco@cocoon-creations.com Wrote:  Also for reasons unknown, the WP34S also has this anomaly (without card reader to explain it).

Walter had a reason for doing the layout this way. I can't remember what it was.

Pauli
12-04-2019, 12:58 AM
Indirectly I've been reminded of the reasons for placing the labels below the keys:
  • In the beginning there were just consistency reasons - if you put one shifted function on one side of a key then put all of them at the same side. And the slanted fronts of the keys were exactly this: slanted fronts. So the h-shifted labels determined the location of the f- and g-shifted ones.
  • Then there were space reasons - if you put labels below and above a key then they will interfere with the labels of next row of keys.
  • And eventually there were the four hotkeys which had their default labels printed above them - a similar situation like on the hp67.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)