Successfully changed the broken fan of a HP-9825B
03-22-2018, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2018 10:49 AM by Waon Shinyoe.)
Successfully changed the broken fan of a HP-9825B
I got the 9825B with almost everything working (even the tape reader has been rebuilt!) except the cooling fan was constantly screaming but not rotating fast & the machine was not stable when it got hot.

It is a 38mm x 80mm x 80mm 115V AC fan, which is easy to find. I basically followed the service manual step-by-step to replace it. I keep the original plastic power connectors of the fan (cut them from the wires), and soldered back to the wires of the new fan. A 7/64" hex key wrench is needed to remove the fixed screws around the fan.

It works much cooler & quieter now!

BTW, I tried to apply the retrobright technique to the key caps but since they are not ABS & the original color of the keys are also yellowish, I didn't see significant improvements.

HP-9825B Restored!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2018, 05:51 PM
RE: Successfully changed the broken fan of a HP-9825B
Nice! May I ask that you make a video on youtube with a non trivial problem to solve? The others that I find on youtube are not that interesting. They show little bits and that's it.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
03-23-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: Successfully changed the broken fan of a HP-9825B
I've also replaced a fan in one of my 9825T systems, much more pleasant to use it if the fan isn't assaulting you with noise! It was not difficult to do.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)