Custom Menu
11-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Custom Menu
Hello,

I have been a Ti-89 user for a long time and recently bought the HP Prime because I didn't like the Nspire. I've been learning how to work with the calculator but I haven't been able to find a way to create some sort of a custom menu where I put all the functions that I regularly use. This is really important to me because I don't want to want to have to apply too many keystrokes/touch to get the same function.

I was also trying to write a few functions to get a feel of programming on the calculator and the only way it seems for me to use the function is to type it out completely. Typing things on a calculator is something I want to avoid as much as possible. Is there some way I can organize functions (whether built-in or installed) into some sort of a menu so that I can access them as quickly as possible.

One of the reasons I have stuck with the Ti-89 for so long is because I have the option of creating 6 distinct user menus where I have all my functions organized and could access with just 2 keystrokes. This is super important if someone is trying to work quickly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2019, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 07:31 AM by Tyann.)
RE: Custom Menu
Bonjour

Non vous ne pouvez pas créer de menus personalisés (peut être dans une future mise à jour), les fonctions que vous programmez sont accessibles depuis la touche 'boite à outils' menu 'utilisateur' et depuis le catalogue à condition quelles soient 'exportées'.
Vous pouvez regrouper plusieurs fonctions dans un seul programme.
Enfin vous pouvez aussi redéfinir le clavier en mode User.
(tout ceci concerne la vue Home)
Espérant avoir aidé.

Hello

No you cannot create custom menus (maybe in a future update), the functions you program are accessible from the "user menu" toolbox key and from the catalog provided they are "exported".
You can group several functions together in a single program.
Finally, you can also redefine the keyboard in User mode.
(all this concerns the Home view)
Hoping to have helped.

Sorry for my english
11-10-2019, 07:46 AM
There is no built-in function for custom menus (like in the TI) yet, but using user key assignments and code snippets created by other users, you can create several different forms of menus, depending on what your preference is.

Have a look at this thread, where Carlos has collected some of these methods and demo screenshots:

Custom Units and Menus - CST
11-10-2019, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 09:00 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
This program uses menus (implemented using HP PPL Choose command) and might serve as a useful example. https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4981.html
Is this the kind of menu you wanted?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2019, 03:13 PM
You are not alone in wishing for a custom menu. The soft key touch menu at the bottom of the screen is just begging to be used as a custom menu. It could be toggled on/off by a menu option on the Menu key.

(11-09-2019 10:54 PM)medwatt Wrote:  One of the reasons I have stuck with the Ti-89 for so long is because I have the option of creating 6 distinct user menus where I have all my functions organized and could access with just 2 keystrokes. This is super important if someone is trying to work quickly.

I used to give my ti-89 students a custom menu program that had all the functions that we commonly used in the class. It was very useful, but it required writing a simple program, which few of my students knew how to do. One of the features I really liked about the previous hp calculators (48/49/50) was the simplicity of creating a custom menu. You just created a list containing the desired commands, such as {COMB PERM !}, and stored it with the name CST, and viola! you had your custom menu.

I'm still hoping that someday this exceedingly useful feature will be reintroduced.
11-10-2019, 04:54 PM
If the hp calculatrice team does this MENU Command then I suggest a feature by having nested list of lists of lists for more ROWS in the Custom Menu. The hp Prime does have a touch screen, yes? Then the extra level of lists could bring up to, say, ten rows of menu lines.
11-10-2019, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 07:40 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Perhaps these menu functions will help?
LibMenu: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-72...hlight=Lib

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)