HHC 202x - thoughts?
03-05-2020, 09:26 PM
RE: HHC 202x - thoughts?
(03-05-2020 04:15 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-05-2020 07:17 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Only if we, italians, will attend... Sad
But isn't a vaccine going to be available in three days?!? Dodgy

Sorry to hear this is so bad in Italy, but I've not heard too many details about the areas impacted. Is this affecting Milan, other than lots of school children suddenly out in the streets instead of in school?

Well, not really so bad as pictured by media (here, first and foremost). Many people were screened so they found many positives. Where screening is not so spread maybe not so many are found...

However, yes: children in the wild are the real problem! Wink

I am teleworking for the second week in a row, something I asked for since I bought my first modem in 1987! How could I ask for more? Big Grin
Well, maybe a SM|DM|WP43S... for my upcoming 60th!

Uhm, now that I think of it: will I be forced to say hello to my friends via webcam on that day?!?
Huh

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2020, 03:31 AM
Several thoughts:

I would entertain a virtual conference, however, I like the in-person aspect of the conference, and for me, it's the only time, really, I get to see you all. I can understand why location can make travel costs real expensive.

I can do $150/night, for my budget, it's the high end of the scale. Some years, I ended up staying a local motel nearby (1) to either save funds and/or (2) I sometimes registers until close to the last minute and no rooms are available (that's on me).

I think the reason why is schedule is so tight and Saturday is a marathon, is that there's a lot to talk about and we really want to get as many topics as possible. Would it be easier for a three six-seven hour days? Yes, I think it would be easier for everyone. However, I can see it is more cost effective to have a sometimes 10-hour Saturday and 5-6 hour Sunday.

Personally, I'm happy with the door prizes as I collect some wonderful calculators and items from the conference.

I anticipate that I will make it Nashville because HHC is truly a highlight of my year and I can't wait to see you in Nashville!
03-12-2020, 01:05 PM
What an irony, Coronavirus Conference Gets Canceled Because of Coronavirus
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2020, 08:39 PM
The Oughtred Society http://www.oughtred.org/ will have their meeting in Cambridge, MA, USA 10 to 13 September. Is there much crossover between that slide rule group and the HHC community?
03-12-2020, 11:51 PM
(03-12-2020 08:39 PM)WillMarchant Wrote:  The Oughtred Society http://www.oughtred.org/ will have their meeting in Cambridge, MA, USA 10 to 13 September. Is there much crossover between that slide rule group and the HHC community?

There are certainly a lot of (likely older) calc fans here that also collect and enjoy Slide Rules. At HHC each year, there are typically 2-3 slide rules on the prize table, happily grabbed early in the rounds of picking, so I'd say yes.

I'm aware of the Oughtred Society (though still not sure how to pronounce it) but did not know that they have annual (?) meetings, so thanks for posting this. I think I can be up near Boston then (assuming everything isn't still cancelled) so will try to check it out.

--Bob Prosperi
03-13-2020, 08:22 AM
(03-12-2020 08:39 PM)WillMarchant Wrote:  The Oughtred Society http://www.oughtred.org/ will have their meeting in Cambridge, MA, USA 10 to 13 September. Is there much crossover between that slide rule group and the HHC community?

Four days? Do they also organize fencing tournaments with slide rules? :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)