HP-41 Book "Programming the HP 41C/CV/CX" by Thomas Adams
10-02-2020, 06:42 AM
RE: HP-41 Book "Programming the HP 41C/CV/CX" by Thomas Adams
Ships from Sterling, Virginia while Allen's location is Virginia ...
Quite sure it is the same book
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2020, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2020 09:08 PM by Allen.)
Greetings, the copyright holders agreed to include in the Museum DVD, but I did not ask permission to post in the forum. I feel the table of contents is fair use as it describes the contents of the book itself, but I'd feel more comfortable NOT posting the entire book, as it's outside what I requested from his estate.

I may revisit that later in the year, if an opportunity arises, and I think it will. There is a possibility we could have more of Dr. Adams' work to scan in the coming months, so maybe don't buy the updated ThumbDrive/DVD TOO soon?? Smile

I bought a new Epson ES400 scanner for this project and digitized/OCR/Bookmarked some other HP manuals (e.g. 41C Test Statistics and a Catalog of Users' Programs from 1985) that were not on the DVD.

17bii | 32s | 32sii | 41c | 41cv | 41cx | 42s | 48g | 48g+ | 48gx | 50g | 30b

10-02-2020, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2020 09:13 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(10-02-2020 09:03 PM)Allen Wrote:  I bought a new Epson ES400 scanner for this project and digitized/OCR/Bookmarked some other HP manuals (e.g. 41C Test Statistics and a Catalog of Users' Programs from 1986) that were not on the DVD.

Have you looked into using a camera to digitize books and manuals? As an example of the quality of the finished product, the Portable PLUS Service manual, was scanned with a smartphone and an app that corrects for trapezoidal effects, etc.
http://www.jeffcalc.hp41.eu/hpplus/files...manual.pdf

There are some fancy platforms/light tables available for the serious minded.

Dave
10-02-2020, 09:17 PM
With a table saw and a sheet-fed scanner there's very few books one can't scan. Smile

10-02-2020, 10:30 PM
You should ask permission to post it on the forum!

Sounds like you have a similar setup to me. I considered the Epson but ended up buying a Fujitsu FI-7160 instead. It does a fantastic job scanning manuals (60 pages per minute at 300 dpi with both sides scanned, and still quite fast at 600 dpi!), and is almost as good as a flatbed for photos, too (only a little streaking in some dark areas, which is hard to avoid with sheet feeders).

Also, I use a Martin Yale 7000e stack paper cutter for cutting off bindings. It will cut a phone book in half like going through butter with a warm knife. Very clean cuts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2020, 11:51 AM
(10-02-2020 10:30 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Also, I use a Martin Yale 7000e stack paper cutter for cutting off bindings. It will cut a phone book in half like going through butter with a warm knife. Very clean cuts.

Yikes! Sounds a bit destructive. Would a cheap and cheerful book scanner like this DIY example work, do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwMsuo6...HmQ/videos

— Ian Abbott
10-03-2020, 02:54 PM
(10-03-2020 11:51 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 10:30 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Also, I use a Martin Yale 7000e stack paper cutter for cutting off bindings. It will cut a phone book in half like going through butter with a warm knife. Very clean cuts.

Yikes! Sounds a bit destructive. Would a cheap and cheerful book scanner like this DIY example work, do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwMsuo6...HmQ/videos

It would work, yes, though with a bit worse scan quality. But the biggest problem with that is it would probably take 100 times as long to do the scan.

With my approach, the cut is very clean and precise so the book can be re-bound again, either with a perfect binding (not my preference) or with a spiral binding (much more usable!). I only take off about 2mm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2020, 03:48 AM
(09-06-2020 10:21 AM)HP67 Wrote:  Any interesting side note:

My buddy alerted me to a sale at Michigan State University. Among the surplus items were a bunch of 48G calculators. We bought 4 and he sent me 2 in the post.

One of them was a pristine, apparently unused model but alas without the double shot keys. The other one was a dirty, banged up wreck of a calculator with a tweaked bezel. It was obviously opened, probably more than once. I cleaned it up over a few hours and worked out the major bumps in the bezel but it still creaks like a past century wooden rocking chair.

The interesting thing was (now) that it had a sticker on the back, Property of Thomas Adams and I think it also said Physical Therapy Department but I can't remember. The sticker and residue were removed as part of my cleanup operation.

I knew at the time he was the author of at least one HP Book. But I didn't think leaving the calculator as I got it would mean I had a collector's item Big Grin

I believe I may have PDFs of one or more of his books but I have not been home in almost a year, stuck far away due to Corona. When I get back I will look and update the thread.

I purchased several. They all look unused. One has a similar sticker on the back that I didn't remove.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-04-2020, 11:27 AM
(10-02-2020 10:30 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  You should ask permission to post it on the forum!

Sounds like you have a similar setup to me. I considered the Epson but ended up buying a Fujitsu FI-7160 instead. It does a fantastic job scanning manuals (60 pages per minute at 300 dpi with both sides scanned, and still quite fast at 600 dpi!), and is almost as good as a flatbed for photos, too (only a little streaking in some dark areas, which is hard to avoid with sheet feeders).

Also, I use a Martin Yale 7000e stack paper cutter for cutting off bindings. It will cut a phone book in half like going through butter with a warm knife. Very clean cuts.

I have used a Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 for several years. It's a real workhorse of a scanner.

While I don't have access to a paper cutter, I found that I can take a book to Staples, have them slice off the spine, then I scan it in, and then take it back to Staples to have a spiral binding put back on the book. Costs about $10 total.
I end up with a nice spiral bound manual plus a scanned copy.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
10-05-2020, 07:08 PM
(10-02-2020 09:03 PM)Allen Wrote:  There is a possibility we could have more of Dr. Adams' work to scan in the coming months, so maybe don't buy the updated ThumbDrive/DVD TOO soon?? Smile

Do you have a rough idea of when the next version of the DVD will be available please ?
12-27-2020, 11:56 AM
I'm sorry. Checking my HP doc I don't have this book after all.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
12-27-2020, 04:10 PM
(10-05-2020 07:08 PM)Maxdao Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 09:03 PM)Allen Wrote:  There is a possibility we could have more of Dr. Adams' work to scan in the coming months, so maybe don't buy the updated ThumbDrive/DVD TOO soon?? Smile
Do you have a rough idea of when the next version of the DVD will be available please ?
Given that I have received my Version 8 in December 2014, I would not put my hope very high to get a new release anytime soon. (years)
12-27-2020, 06:35 PM
Abebooks is a meta-site: it offers individual booksellers a place to list books for sale.

Used.addall.com, on the other hand, could be called a meta-meta-site: it searches the listings compiled by Abebooks and other meta-sites, among which are Amazon and Biblio.

Used.addall.com does not find any copies of Thomas Adams's HP-41 book.

But consider these results of searches for Adams's "Mastering the HP 48G-Gx": Abebooks finds two sellers of the book, and Used.addall.com has 12 hits (two of which are the Abebooks hits). The 10 other hits are listings from Alibris, Amazon, AmazonCA, AmazonDE, AmazonFR, Biblio, and Biblio.co.UK.

Listings on Used.addall.com are not as thorough, nor as beautiful, as those on Abebooks. But if I want to find a book, my go-to site is always Used.addall.com.
12-27-2020, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2020 07:59 PM by Allen.)
(10-02-2020 03:04 AM)bbergman Wrote:  The eBay item says in the description that the book was scanned for the use of the Museum. I wonder if it actually made it to the archives?

Greetings!

I sent to Dave promptly, as mentioned here and elsewhere.

Documents I've sent since 2015, which are not included in the Museum Collection DVD V 8 as of 12/27/2020 for some reason or another:

1. Programming the HP 41C/CV/CX by Thomas Adams
  2. Complex Calculations Have Never Been So Easy... The HP-71 Sales Guide
  3. HP 41 Test Statistics User's Library Solutions
  4. HP 12C Training Guide HP part Number 00012-90022 Rev B.
  5. 42S Version 1 Manual insert from HP December 1988
  6. 1985 User's Library Software Catalog (HP-41 HP71 HP75)
  7. HP 71B TRANSLATOR PAC PROGRAMMER'S TOOLKIT

I don't know when/how dave updates the document list, if you are eager to see amendments processed and available, perhaps we could start a separate thread to discuss as a community?

NOTE: Version 8.00, Released November 2014 is now over 6 years old, I don't want to get your hopes up.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)