HP Connectivity Kit & Linux
12-15-2021, 06:21 AM
HP Connectivity Kit & Linux
Hello,

am I right that Linux users are out of luck to have HP Connectivity kit working under Linux OS?

If this is so, then it means that HP Prime calculator is of not much use for Linux users since the calc is not visible to the OS, its firmware can't be updated etc.?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2021, 08:08 AM
RE: HP Connectivity Kit & Linux
(12-15-2021 06:21 AM)gour Wrote:  Hello,

am I right that Linux users are out of luck to have HP Connectivity kit working under Linux OS?

If this is so, then it means that HP Prime calculator is of not much use for Linux users since the calc is not visible to the OS, its firmware can't be updated etc.?
Could it be an option to use Connectivity Kit etc. with Wine?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
12-15-2021, 08:46 AM
(12-15-2021 08:08 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Could it be an option to use Connectivity Kit etc. with Wine?
That would certainly be an option - I'm using it with several apps I need - but according to this thread it seems it does not work any longer with newer revisions...Any update on it?
12-15-2021, 10:01 AM
(12-15-2021 08:46 AM)gour Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 08:08 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Could it be an option to use Connectivity Kit etc. with Wine?
That would certainly be an option - I'm using it with several apps I need - but according to this thread it seems it does not work any longer with newer revisions...Any update on it?
Sorry, but I don't have an update.
Please address this topic directly to Mr. Kuperus (see other threads) and also to Tim Wessman/Cyrille with the request for public response.
12-15-2021, 11:53 AM
(12-15-2021 08:46 AM)gour Wrote:  

I have used connectivity kit with wine, and it works for slightly older versions. I was able to connect my virtual calculators to it but not my physical calculator. In any case if you upgrade version it breaks.
12-16-2021, 07:00 AM
(12-15-2021 11:53 AM)nickapos Wrote:  I have used connectivity kit with wine, and it works for slightly older versions. I was able to connect my virtual calculators to it but not my physical calculator. In any case, if you upgrade version it breaks.

Thank you for confirming it!

This is now the reason that, despite some possible advantages in comparison with e.g. DM42/DM41X, I've eliminated Prime since I'm exclusively using Linux with only Wine for some apps for quite some years (since 1999.)
12-16-2021, 09:12 PM
(12-16-2021 07:00 AM)gour Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 11:53 AM)nickapos Wrote:  I have used connectivity kit with wine, and it works for slightly older versions. I was able to connect my virtual calculators to it but not my physical calculator. In any case, if you upgrade version it breaks.

Thank you for confirming it!

This is now the reason that, despite some possible advantages in comparison with e.g. DM42/DM41X, I've eliminated Prime since I'm exclusively using Linux with only Wine for some apps for quite some years (since 1999.)

Yeah, prime is a great machine, but it is locked down and I do not see how you could transfer programs without using one of the officially supported platforms.
Even Mac is a little bit behind in connectivity kit versions.
09-18-2023, 09:26 AM
Hi,

I'm now able to connect my Prime using connectivity kit on Linux.
What did't worked for me:
wine: no connection with the Prime even if the application starts correctly.
Virtualbox Windows 7 No success with the connectivity kit 64 bits

What works for me:
Virtualbox , windows 7, connectivity kit 32 bits, USB in 2.0 (1.1 no driver and 3.0 didn't work) let the driver automatic install when you activate the hp Prime connection (icon on bottom right right click on Hp Prime) that's it !
09-20-2023, 08:30 PM
I use Windows 10 on a spare PC laptop for running HP Prime Connectivity Kit as macOS version is terrible the simulator is out of date.

For simple file transfer the macOS version does the job but testing any apps it’s out of the question just too unstable out of date and high energy warning ⚠️ fan spinning up.

One can transfer data to the HP Prime via an Arduino Leonardo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)