DM32
06-09-2022, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2022 02:44 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
RE: DM32
(06-05-2022 08:42 PM)jonmoore Wrote:  Over the next 12 months, we could see the WP43s, DM32 and even a Plus42 firmware upgrade to the DM42 as part of the new SM lineup (wishful thinking on that last option!). And that's a decent segmented lineup of new calculator models that build on HP's legacy without being carbon-copy clones - as long as the SM team manage to extend the DM32 beyond the 32s/ii template in a manner that's fitting for the hardware platform.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with carbon-copy replicas. SM followed that path from the start, and then they decided to go for upselling models. I miss an HP 42s replica...maybe, just slimmer than the original model, and cheaper than DM42, but as a work of art, the original HP 42s doesn't need any further improvements: bigger screen, Plus42, etc. (again, IMHO).

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2022, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2022 07:57 AM by ijabbott.)
(06-09-2022 06:55 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  I miss an HP 42s replica...maybe, just slimmer than the original model, and cheaper than DM42, but as a work of art, the original HP 42s doesn't need any further improvements: bigger screen, Plus42, etc. (again, IMHO).

If HP released a HP 42s+ model in the same form factor as the silver HP 17bII+ (unlikely, I know), I'd probably buy one for the (probable) increased memory and higher contrast display.

— Ian Abbott
06-13-2022, 12:25 PM
(06-04-2022 09:04 AM)Boub65 Wrote:  But what some people don't get is that finding instructions deep into menus is very annoying when calculating AND programming. For example X=0? or X<Y? need something like 5 key strokes to get them, ISG/DSE 3 keystrokes...

DM32 has most of it's instructions on the keyboard (or one level menu depth) and THAT is it's differentiation for people crunching numbers or making numerous simple programs (complexity of instructions vs simplicity/speed of keying).
On Free42/Plus42/DM42, if you are in program mode, you can once for all press shift+"PGM.FCM" twice, that will make this menu sticky. From there:
-LBL,RTN, INPUT, VIEW are one keystroke away (vs. 2 for the 32SII);
-ISG, DSE, PSE are 2 keystrokes away (just like the 32SII);
-Conditionals are 3 keystrokes away (just like the 32SII).

You can't seriously argue that the 32SII requires less keystrokes for quick programming, in fact it is quite the opposite Smile

For normal calculations:
-PROB and FLAGS menus are only 1 level deep, just like the 32SII; same for BASE as long if you don't go into LOGIC, which is not available on the 32SII anyway;
-STAT is only one level deep as the 32SII, unless you go into CFIT, which yes is more more level than the 32SII, but the 32SII can only handle linear regression, not other models, so the cost is not very high; And Plus42 added a submenu to directly access statistical sums, just like the 32SII (ok, 5 keystrokes away instead of 3, granted, but again you can make the menu sticky and keep the functions handy for as long you wish);
-COMPLEX operations only require normal keystrokes (+,-,...) vs. cumbersome "shift + CMPLX" + op (3 keystrokes !) sequences;
-Plus42 has promoted RUP, X<>, %CH and VIEW to one keystroke (vs. 2 for the 32SII);
-Ok, Conversions (RAD/DEG/HMS/HR/POL/RECT) require 3 keystrokes and not 2 like in the 32SII; not that a big deal, and if you have to use these conversions frequently for a while, you can just make the CONVERT menu sticky for a while, and then all the conversations are only one keystroke away vs.2 !
-Ok, the hyperbolics functions are not immediately available. If you really need them handy, you can alway put then in the CUSTOM menu.

For equations:
-Plus42 allows full editing capabilities, whereas the 32SII forces you to delete everything past the mistake you want to correct;
-Plus42 will soon (version 1.1) allow direct alphanumerical entry, whereas on the 32SII even if the keys are labelled with alpha characters, entering alpha forces you to use RCL + letter (2 keystrokes like the 42S and current 1.0 Plus42), which is just cumbersome.

Am I missing something, or Plus42 is overall way more handy than the 32SII, even when restricting the assessment to the number of keystrokes ? Smile
06-13-2022, 09:47 PM
I suppose right now the DM32 trumps Plus42 in one very important way. It's already announced as a hardware product. Smile

Much as there are many that really, really want Plus42 running on DM42 hardware (me included), it's strictly wishful thinking as things stand.
06-13-2022, 11:17 PM
(06-13-2022 12:25 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Am I missing something, or Plus42 is overall way more handy than the 32SII, even when restricting the assessment to the number of keystrokes ? Smile

There's no right/wrong or good/bad answers here, what is "better" depends on what you do with a calculator, how often, how long you've used a given style, etc. Your own analysis suggests that a user that heavily uses unit conversions and hyperbolics would probably be better off with a 32 than a 42, but that doesn't make it a better machine, just better for that usage.

Also, while 42S fans tend to be more power-users and gravitate to higher-end features, there have been far more 32SII users (it was much cheaper and was sold for much longer) satisfied with it's features/design so it's reasonable to conclude there is market demand for this, even though the "better" DM42 is available.

Make sense?

--Bob Prosperi
06-14-2022, 05:34 AM
My purpose was not to compare powerful features (Plus42 is the clear winner here) but to answer to the supposed "easier to use, less keystrokes" advantage of the 32SII.
I answered to the hyperbolics too - put them in the custom menu and they are readily available, directly, one keystroke away (instead of up to 4 for shift+hyp+shift+ASIN for instance).
I didn't mention units, but while we are at it, the units features of Plus42 are much more comprehensive than the poor conversions of the 32SII. But I admit the latter only require 2 keystrokes per conversions, whereas to convert in Plus42, even in a sticky menu, you need more, since you have to specify both source and destination units. Having been raised in the international system I have no use for UK units, but ok, let's say that if you badly need them every day the 32SII will be better for that Smile
06-14-2022, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2022 06:09 AM by Peet.)
(06-13-2022 11:17 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Make sense?

No!

I don't know the sales figures, but to get a rough idea of the current interest in the various models, I searched the headers in the forum for programs and discussions about the models:

"(42" results 4 pages with program-posts
"(32" results only 1/2 page with programs, half of them from only one user

"41c" - 21 pages
"42s" - 10 pages
"32s" - 3 pages

I don't think popularity is a realistic criterion for choosing to build a 32S replica. I don't think the price is the decisive criterion either, because I don't think that the DM32 will be in the price segment of an HP35s, but rather in that of the DM42.

(06-14-2022 05:34 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  put them in the custom menu and they are readily available, directly, one keystroke away

I see it a similar way, in my opinion, configurability like the 41's User Mode or the 42's CST menus offers more benefits in accessing frequently used functions than a cluttered keyboard with direct access to functions you never need. Ultimately, the 32s loses its advantages if, in addition to the existing functions, various programs are used very often. On the forties models these can be called up just like the internal functions, on the 32s the workflow to call this "functions" changes.

My calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP11C, HP28S - current: HP48G, HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42, HP12C
06-14-2022, 06:32 PM
DM32... if it has single-line fraction input, that's all the reason I need for wanting one. I can already see a spot for it on my desk next to the DM42. As much as I love the 42, some days I just don't want anything to do with menus or converting to and from decimals. Those 2 features provide the niche for me to add it to the fleet.
06-14-2022, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2022 07:36 PM by ijabbott.)
(06-14-2022 05:34 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Having been raised in the international system I have no use for UK units, but ok, let's say that if you badly need them every day the 32SII will be better for that Smile

They're actually US customary units, which is annoying for users of UK imperial units. In particular, the conversions between gallons and liters/litres are "wrong". Smile

— Ian Abbott
09-20-2022, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 01:47 AM by Eddie W. Shore.)
In anticipation of the DM32:

I'm glad the 32SII can display messages and prompts through the EQN and Flag 10. With more memory, this makes it a lot more practical.

Can labels have more than one letter? Or the ability to save a program space under a file system? With the expanded memory, all 26 single-letter labels could be used quickly.

I like the 32S/32SII for the simple yet powerful RPN programming (even though I'm a 42S guy).

I will set aside funds to purchase the DM32 when it comes out.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)