HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
09-07-2015, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 07:06 AM by Ángel Martin.)
HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
Announcing the release of the new HP-16C Emulator for the 41 platform.

With 150 functions and fully programmable, this new module written from the scratch by Greg McClure and myself provides all the HP-16C functionality for the 41 platform, condensed into a one-page design with bank-switched implementation. You'll find the usual trademarks of next-gen module design, like function launchers, secondary FAT, and LAST-Function features all packed in its four banks.

The 16C emulation is complete and even extends the function set with new & enhanced functions taking advantage of the 41 memory structure and larger LCD display, with ALPHA and X-Mem support. A must for CL users but also runs on standard machines with Library#4 capability/

Soon at a TOS near you - send me a PM if you can't wait, and feel free to peruse the user's manual graciously posted by Monte at the systemyde site:

http://systemyde.com/pdf/HP_16C_Emulator_Manual.pdf

Thanks to Michael Fehlhammer also a brand-new overlay is available that makes using this module a breeze - make sure you don't miss it.

Enjoy!
'AM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2015, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 09:11 AM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
(09-07-2015 08:14 AM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  The HP41C/CV/CX and HP16C use the almost identical CPU, just the display is quite different. So did you use at least the core routines from the HP16C?

Well that's an interesting question that came up at the beginning of the project but we discarded that approach and this module is written anew from the ground up; so no 16C source code was used at all. That provided a more challenging assignment that has also proven to be much more fun to do.

The CPUs might well be very similar (or even the same?) but the data registers most certainly are not; as far as I can tell the 16C uses 64-bit registers whereas on the 41 that's limited to 56. Or at least that's what it feels like given all the peculiarities in that machine...

Cheers,
ÁM
09-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Given my experience with the 34S integer mode, I wonder how many differences there are from the 16C here. Of course, any that are found will be fixed rapidly I expect.....

It is also interesting to see someone else's take on how to extend the 16C functionality -- the 34S extends it in a different way (different new functions, extra sign mode).

- Pauli
09-07-2015, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 12:45 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(09-07-2015 10:36 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Given my experience with the 34S integer mode, I wonder how many differences there are from the 16C here. Of course, any that are found will be fixed rapidly I expect.....

You're assuming differences but perhaps will be surprised to see there aren't many... better check for yourself.

In principle we'll fix the bugs/errors when/íf they're found - i.e. the function reporting an incorrect result or creating issues - but not so the "differences" as explained in the manual. Some functions have been extended in their U/I, some have been modified for the better - needless to say that needen't any fixing.

(09-07-2015 10:36 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  It is also interesting to see someone else's take on how to extend the 16C functionality -- the 34S extends it in a different way (different new functions, extra sign mode).

There are about 50 additional functions in the emulator above and beyond the original 16C set. That should give you an idea of the scope of the enhancements - without departing the original design. I wasn't aware of the "eXtra sign" mode on the 34S, will check it out...
09-07-2015, 01:08 PM
(09-07-2015 06:19 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Announcing the release of the new HP-16C Emulator for the 41 platform.

Angel - Thanks to both you and Greg! This should be one of the most interesting and popular 41 ROMs ever! I look forward to checking it out in my CL, but will start soon on your manual.

It appears TOS is down now - maybe taking the holiday off?

I wonder if this will bring the price of real 16C machines on eBay back down to more reasonable levels? Ummm... No.

--Bob Prosperi
09-07-2015, 03:21 PM
(09-07-2015 06:19 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Announcing the release of the new HP-16C Emulator for the 41 platform.

Wow! This is very nice.
I was bringing my 16C at work every day, but this has the potential to replace it.
I have printed the manual and will eagerly await the ROM.
Thank you Ángel and Greg for this new ROM and Michael for the overlay.
Best regards,
Sylvain
09-07-2015, 10:05 PM

With 150 functions and fully programmable, this new module written from the scratch by Greg McClure and myself provides all the HP-16C functionality for the 41 platform, condensed into a one-page design with bank-switched implementation. You'll find the usual trademarks of next-gen module design, like function launchers, secondary FAT, and LAST-Function features all packed in its four banks.

The 16C emulation is complete and even extends the function set with new & enhanced functions taking advantage of the 41 memory structure and larger LCD display, with ALPHA and X-Mem support. A must for CL users but also runs on standard machines with Library#4 capability/

Soon at a TOS near you - send me a PM if you can't wait, and feel free to peruse the user's manual graciously posted by Monte at the systemyde site:

http://systemyde.com/pdf/HP_16C_Emulator_Manual.pdf

Thanks to Michael Fehlhammer also a brand-new overlay is available that makes using this module a breeze - make sure you don't miss it.

Enjoy!
'AM

Hello,

I am very much interested in acquiring this!

Since I am a "new guy" here, can you please tell me what a TOS is?

Will this be an actual physical ROM, or will it be code that can be loaded into an existing HP-41CV such as I have?

Thanks very much in advance for your patience with me.

smp
09-07-2015, 10:53 PM
(09-07-2015 10:05 PM)smp Wrote:  Since I am a "new guy" here, can you please tell me what a TOS is?

You should read this old thread

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 12:34 AM
smp,

This is a user created rom image. To use it on a 41CV you have, you must acquire some other material for your HP 41CV.

Such as:

1) an MLDL 2000 device (search for it)

2) a NoVRAM module (search)

or

3) a 41CL replacement CPU board and loaded into your HP 41CV

You really cannot use this rom image (or any other user created rom images in the last 20+ years) unless you have something like that.

Alternatively, you can load this rom image into a 41CV emulator and play with it on your PC.
09-08-2015, 12:43 AM
(09-07-2015 10:53 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  You should read this old thread

Thank you very much, Katie. Very much appreciated.

smp
09-08-2015, 12:45 AM
(09-08-2015 12:34 AM)Gene Wrote:  This is a user created rom image. To use it on a 41CV you have, you must acquire some other material for your HP 41CV.

<...snip...>

Alternatively, you can load this rom image into a 41CV emulator and play with it on your PC.

Thank you very much, Gene, for your detailed explanation. Very much appreciated.

Looks like I have more studying to do - and more hardware to consider obtaining!

smp
09-08-2015, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 12:59 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
The requirements are ...

Option 1: HP-41CX + one of the following modules: Clonix-D, NoV-64 or USB-41 + PIC programmer
Option 2: HP-41C/CV/CX fullnut + 41CL board

One of the Clonix-D/NoV-64 modules or the 41CL board will hold the ROM images.

Monte Dalrymple: 41CL board
Diego Diaz: Clonix-D / NoV-64 / USB-41 modules
MCUMall: USB PIC programmer for Diego modules

Best regards,

Sylvain

Edit: Gene was faster than me. 8-)
09-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Perhaps, but you were more detailed! :-)
09-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Here's the MOD file to speed up the process. You can extract the ROM files from it for your Clonix/Novo and CL upload. The zip folder contains the updated Library#4 as well.

Attached File(s)
.zip  HP-16C_Rev.1A.zip (Size: 19.53 KB / Downloads: 78)
09-11-2015, 02:08 AM
Thank you Ángel for the file.

Thanks to Diego for the join blocks features, I was able to program a Clonix-D module with your new Library4, OSX-BS4, HP-16+, TotalRekall & Alpha44.
The module is currently inserted into a HP-41CX-HN with a Double-X-MEM leaving the physical ports 3 & 4 free for other modules and/or peripherals. Wow!
I will update the 41CL this week-end. 8-)
Thank you so much for creating these fantastics ROM's.

Best regards,

Sylvain

09-11-2015, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 06:34 PM by Ángel Martin.)
Way to go Sylvain!

I noticed there's still an empty page ont hat Clonix-D - if you have the physical port available how about adding the SUDOKU ROM for a break?

BTW what exactly is an HP-41CX-HN??

Cheers,
ÁM

Edit: never mind the Sodoku, the ideal choice is the Digit Pack ROM - with the Advantage-style digital functions plus a few more, what a comparison!
09-11-2015, 10:08 AM
(09-11-2015 07:32 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  BTW what exactly is an HP-41CX-HN??

Half-Nut of course !
;-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 11:54 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(09-11-2015 10:08 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 07:32 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  BTW what exactly is an HP-41CX-HN??

Half-Nut of course !
;-)

Mais naturellment!!
I forgot those existed since I got my CL ;-)
05-19-2022, 07:36 PM
Hi Angél, I finally got around to testing out your ace 16c emulator. And I gotta say, Greg and yourself really hit the ball out of the park with this one.

I took me so long to get around to loading it onto my DMC41x as I use a super-robust iOS 16c emulator (which I'd thoroughly tested in comparison to the 16c hardware, as a very understanding friend was willing to loan me his whilst I did an extensive set of tests to ensure the math lines up).

Only now do I realise I should have got to it sooner! Smile

This will probably be regarded as heresy by some, but in many ways, I think your emulator surpasses the capabilities of the original hardware. Not just in the brand new features, you added, but the alpha-numeric nature of the 41 makes programming so much easier.

I tend to keep your documentation at hand as an aide-mémoire to the command names but I do that with all your releases anyway (the spreadsheet format intro pages is all that's needed).

However I did find one small bug, and that's that the mass keyboard assignment 16keys command is greeted by a nonexistent message.

I use the MKeys and ZK??YN mass key assignments in SandMath and 41Z all the time, as they come in handy for those common things you access all the time. And I can see that the custom layout for the HP16c emulator is equally well thought out, so it would be good if I could get it working.

Thanks again for all your efforts.
05-20-2022, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022 06:22 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(05-19-2022 07:36 PM)jonmoore Wrote:  Hi Angél, I finally got around to testing out your ace 16c emulator. And I gotta say, Greg and yourself really hit the ball out of the park with this one.

I took me so long to get around to loading it onto my DMC41x as I use a super-robust iOS 16c emulator (which I'd thoroughly tested in comparison to the 16c hardware, as a very understanding friend was willing to loan me his whilst I did an extensive set of tests to ensure the math lines up).

Only now do I realise I should have got to it sooner! Smile

This will probably be regarded as heresy by some, but in many ways, I think your emulator surpasses the capabilities of the original hardware. Not just in the brand new features, you added, but the alpha-numeric nature of the 41 makes programming so much easier.

I tend to keep your documentation at hand as an aide-mémoire to the command names but I do that with all your releases anyway (the spreadsheet format intro pages is all that's needed).

Thanks for the feedback Jon, I'm happy you find the emulator useful and an improvement over the original in some respects. Greg and I pulled all the stops and did our best on this project, so it's rewarding to hear it's appreciated.

(05-19-2022 07:36 PM)jonmoore Wrote:  However I did find one small bug, and that's that the mass keyboard assignment 16keys command is greeted by a nonexistent message.

I use the MKeys and ZK??YN mass key assignments in SandMath and 41Z all the time, as they come in handy for those common things you access all the time. And I can see that the custom layout for the HP16c emulator is equally well thought out, so it would be good if I could get it working.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

I just tried it on my CL, V41 and DM41X and it worked just as expected. Let's first make sure you have the latest revisions of the module and the Library#4, pls. use the attached MOD files to try it again and let me know if that solved the problem.

Cheers,
ÁM

Attached File(s)
.zip  HP-16C_BS.zip (Size: 21.06 KB / Downloads: 28)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)